How do I solve poor headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I solve poor headlights

I went out in a storm last night and it made me realise how poor my headlights have become. I have 7" units originally from Staffords (18 years old) and I guess my options are quartz halogen or LEDs. Has anyone tried out LED units ?

Re: How do I solve poor headlights

Check out the skcc forum, one of the guys is setting up some led units and the results are excellent :-)
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Before you go to great expense have you checked the voltage at the lights. I had a huge improvement on my Landrover S3 by putting a relay in the system. Drawing light power straight from the battery.

Comment

Hi Andy,

I can't get into the SKCC forum, my anti malware software tells me it is a corrupted site and it is trying to send me the trojan JS:Injection-A[Tj]

Are you involved with the site or do you know who is (can you phone them and let them know)

Ta

Keith

Comment

I'm not sure why that is. I'm using Norton and it's fine

This is the thread you should be looking at... http://southernkitcars.com/forum/vie...=7958&start=30
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I've no problem and I'm using Avast .

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              Check out the skcc forum, one of the guys is setting up some led units and the results are excellent :-)
              Any details like part numbers /suppliers? These look too good to miss :-)

Comment

Just a thought.
                Some time ago I had problem with headlights on my Berly, they appeared to loose illumination in depth !.
                I eventually found problem to be wateringresion.
                A lot of time spent trying to test out problem failed and new bulbs made no differant either.
                It was by she misfortune or fortune dependant on your sence of humour ,I moved the st/st flex tubing taking wires to external headlights whilst lamps were illuminated on main beam by mistake.
                Then suddenly to my horor flames came out of tubing as well as fuses poped on bulkhead.
                Investigation found wires unsheeth fitted in 1988 had become waterloged as end of st/st tube had been sealed to stop water entering open tube end into car harness at chassie end.The st/st tubing had over time caused rubber inner steave to perrised thus allowing water impregnation, this had harden this wires inside to brittal and prolonged water build up withing tube was causing voltage drop to earth when in use. New wires doubled sleaved with new fuses and now standard lamps are fine.

Comment

Hi Hairydave, that is a very valid point. The problem I have at this very moment is that I am all snug indoors and don't want to leave my chair and get done up like Nanook of the North to go out and take the measurements. I think that intolerance to cold seems to grow exponentially once a certain age is reached !!) I must admit, as well as solving this issue, I am very tempted to put a couple of spotlights on the empty lamp spigots on the front bumper bar (I put my indicators on the wings when I built the car so never used them)

Comment

Speaking as Nanook of the North after todays time in the garage, I reckon you called it right !

Comment

It is a good idea not to rush into things. A good sit down and think is a really sensible idea. Then with the lighter nights new lights may not be needed. Time and money saved.

Comment

Crikey bobs, full of knowledge and spot on logic as well

Comment

Working...
                        X