Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Had an advisory last MOT on n/s rear wheel bearing & wheel cylinder so finally found some time to replace.
    Not having changed a rear wheel bearing since I built the car (and that was the n/s which needed a dodgy half-shaft replacing) I'd forgotten what a wonderful experience it can be - this time didn't disappoint either..!
    Hub came off reasonably easily as I have the correct puller for this - just needed a whiff of heat with the puller wound on tight and there was a gentle sigh as the taper let go.
    Quite surprising really given I don't think that taper has been broken in the last 40+ years.
    But no way was the bearing was coming off the shaft and the threaded section & hub nut had definitely seen better days..!
    Luckily I had a spare half-shaft and back plate so the easiest option was to build that up and job done.
    Just need to bleed the brakes & hopefully the MOT man will be happier this year.
    Maybe I might even find time to drive it more often
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Been there, done that...
    I feel your pain!

Comment

I have a rotational groan/grating sound which I think is near side rear as it's in time with the wheels rotating I think it's probably the bearing. I may have to chicken out and get the local garage to do it.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

There is no replacement for a 20 ton hydraulic press.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have the new bearings sat on the workbench while I pluck up courage....... I somehow did not believe the Haynes manual was telling the whole story!

Comment

Originally posted by charles44 View Post
            I have the new bearings sat on the workbench while I pluck up courage....... I somehow did not believe the Haynes manual was telling the whole story!
            The guy I used to use is out on the Henfield Road from Sayers Common. I will try and locate him later and PM his details. Pretty basic but a great fellow to work with.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve! Good to have a fallback option.

Comment

All done - the 10T press worked a treat (good old ebay!)
                Now to fit the replacement rack, wiper wheel boxes.........etc etc etc

Comment

Working...
                X