Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Had an advisory last MOT on n/s rear wheel bearing & wheel cylinder so finally found some time to replace.
    Not having changed a rear wheel bearing since I built the car (and that was the n/s which needed a dodgy half-shaft replacing) I'd forgotten what a wonderful experience it can be - this time didn't disappoint either..!
    Hub came off reasonably easily as I have the correct puller for this - just needed a whiff of heat with the puller wound on tight and there was a gentle sigh as the taper let go.
    Quite surprising really given I don't think that taper has been broken in the last 40+ years.
    But no way was the bearing was coming off the shaft and the threaded section & hub nut had definitely seen better days..!
    Luckily I had a spare half-shaft and back plate so the easiest option was to build that up and job done.
    Just need to bleed the brakes & hopefully the MOT man will be happier this year.
    Maybe I might even find time to drive it more often
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Sunday Fun with Marina Rear Wheel Bearings

Been there, done that...
    I feel your pain!

Comment

I have a rotational groan/grating sound which I think is near side rear as it's in time with the wheels rotating I think it's probably the bearing. I may have to chicken out and get the local garage to do it.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

There is no replacement for a 20 ton hydraulic press.

Comment

I have the new bearings sat on the workbench while I pluck up courage....... I somehow did not believe the Haynes manual was telling the whole story!

Comment

Originally posted by charles44 View Post
            I have the new bearings sat on the workbench while I pluck up courage....... I somehow did not believe the Haynes manual was telling the whole story!
            The guy I used to use is out on the Henfield Road from Sayers Common. I will try and locate him later and PM his details. Pretty basic but a great fellow to work with.

Comment

Thanks Steve! Good to have a fallback option.

Comment

All done - the 10T press worked a treat (good old ebay!)
                Now to fit the replacement rack, wiper wheel boxes.........etc etc etc

Comment

Working...
                X