Someone twisted my arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone twisted my arm

So, with adjustable tie rods ready to go & some late Xmas presents to play with (digital caster gauge & turn plates) I got down to setting up the Roadster front end.
    Resetting upper arm bushes to factory spec was the first step followed by an initial check of caster & camber.
    I already knew from string & tape measure that all was not as it should be and accurate measurements confirmed this.
    Mildly negative camber on the nearside & mildly positive on the offside...about 0.7 degree difference...not wildly out but not ideal.
    Offside caster was way out at 1.2 degrees but the nearside was in the right ballpark at 3.1 degrees.
    Careful measurements between the 2 sides showed that the offside lower arm was sitting some 5mm further back at the lower link when compared to the nearside.
    To investigate further meant removing the torsion bar & lower arm and comparing against a spare lower arm...lo and behold its bent...see below.
    Spare arm has been cleaned up & painted and will be going on tomorrow...hopefully that will allow me to get equivalent settings on each side.

20160331_134502.jpg

20160331_134958.jpg
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Someone twisted my arm

Is that an indication of the alleged poor quality of the Marina Roadster chassis jigs?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Is that an indication of the alleged poor quality of the Marina Roadster chassis jigs?
      Let's wait & see what the figures are with a pair of unbent lower arms..!
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I would say that was impact damage - have you been off roading Jez? Maybe when your tie rod parted company?

Comment

Working...
        X