Folding Hood Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding Hood Frame

I'm thinking of trying to make my fixed hood frame into a folding jobby. Has anyone else tried this? I've seen the earlier thread and note that YKC offered a folding frame and cutting the frame, as suggested by Chris (West Sussex) is a good fallback. Any advice would be appreciated and photos of your folding frame, either DIY or YKC, would really help. Thanks.

Re: Folding Hood Frame

Simon
    I'm pretty sure i've got details/drawings in a file somewhere.If you let me know you're address i'll photocopy and post on to you!

Comment

Simon,
      I made mine back in 1989 I think, from a technical tips article in the club magazine and it is still going strong. It was very easy to make with only the bottom hinges needing to be sourced from a boat chandlers as they are the ones used for folding boat canopies. Make sure you use stainless fixings and the nuts on the inside ( or they will rip the hood in time). If you can't find the tech tip anywhere then I will measure mine and make a drawing for you.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Tech tips copies from the Vice Chair Liz
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Simon i have a folding frame on mine, you can have a look at it. I am just the other side of leigh.

Comment

Simon Tech Tips are currently being worked on by Sue Roedel and I do not have a copy just at the moment but if time I will look it up for you. Liz

Comment

Thanks for all the speedy and kind responses. What would we do without this forum? Alan (Derby)- thanks but rather than put you to a lot of trouble I will buy the tech tips. Ryan (Lowton) - be great to meet up and will bring a digital camera if ok with you. As my car has only just been put back on the road after a refurb, Leigh may be my longest journey yet! Could you please let me know your email address to arrange a meet. Mine is simon(at)sidon.wanadoo.co.uk if you would rather contact me direct. Liz - thanks for the offer. there's no rush cos I'm not getting wet but will be happy to buy the tech tips as soon as they are available again. Been meaning to buy a couple of bits anyway. Will they be available at Stoneleigh?

Comment

Simon. If you want to email me I will scan the article to you. Sue is working on them now, but there is a lot to type up. I hope to have them available at Stoneleigh.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (Editor, MOC)
                  I hope to scan the tech tips this weekend with my NEW scanner and then get them converted into a pretty format. Have to get the scanner working first!

Comment

Message originally posted by: FPILKINGTON
                    SIMON I HAVE A LONG WHEEL BASED ROADSTER WITH A LAMINATED WOOD FRAME THAT AS WORKED WELL FOR THE LAST TWELVE YEARS,I LIVE IN RAWTENSTALL LANCS SO IF YOU FANCY A RIDE OUT TO CHECK IT OVER GIVE ME A CALL ON 01706220474 EVENINGS OR W/ENDS

Comment

Thanks again to all and thanks to F Pilkington for his kind offer. I now have the drawings from Liz and am planning a trip to see Ryan's stainless steel (lucky him!)folding hood along with my camera.

Comment

As I've got the hacksaw out has anyone got a copy of the Tech-Tips for the Roadster folding hood frame please?

Comment

You can access old Pit Stops at the bottom of the forum. Try issue June 85 and Sept 87
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben - I didn't fancy trawling through 30 years of Pitstops to try and find it!

Comment

For future reference the cheapest end plugs I could find are here:
                              Quality Nylon and 316 Stainless Steel To fit 20mm I D tube 22mm O D of plug shoulder 8mm eye Plate thickness 3mm UK Delivery
                              Last edited by cdow; 22-02-13, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X