Probably not the best...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably not the best...

All thats between me an my fuel tank is carpet.

I'll knock up a temporary cover for the tank until I research what the rest of you are doing to separate tank area and cockpit.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Probably not the best...

Mine just has a lose piece of plywood covered with carpet as supplied by Marlin
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks Andy, I've got a piece of MDF (sponge I know) and some batton I'll use that.

I can see that the cover could sit on the cross member behind the seats but how is it supported at the sides and rear?

Photo's anyone?

thanks,

David,
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Bond some blocks onto the inside rear of the tub for it to sit on...same goes for the x-member and then it will sit flush.
        A couple of turnbuckles or self-tappers to keep it tight.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Mine just sits on the cross member and the top of the tank
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

My Car, Millie, has a rubber sheet, 9mm plywood, topped with another rubber mat. I noticed in a car builder’s video, project Binky, involving building a Mini they mentioned making a firewall in the boot. I hope that is because they have plans to race it.
            Paul

Comment

Thanks all, replies in order...

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
              Bond some blocks onto the inside rear of the tub for it to sit on...same goes for the x-member and then it will sit flush.
              A couple of turnbuckles or self-tappers to keep it tight.
              Good idea I'll have a look at that.

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              Mine just sits on the cross member and the top of the tank
              That's what I was thinking initially, with some rubber/foam bonded to the panel rather than have it 'rattling' against the tank. There is no weight to speak of anyway. I do recall that ply panel when I built PKK in the 80's.

Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
              My Car, Millie, has a rubber sheet, 9mm plywood, topped with another rubber mat. I noticed in a car builder’s video, project Binky, involving building a Mini they mentioned making a firewall in the boot. I hope that is because they have plans to race it.
              Paul
              Car Builders have some composite aluminium sheet that would be good for something glide this but the tail end is such an irregular shape that I doubt I'd be able to get a gap less seal all the way around the floor panel.

Thanks for the suggestions, another I've had is to use whatever method the car audio guys use to make a 'container' which fits the space. Check out car-stereo-amplifiers-and-sound-system-in-the-boot-of-a-modified-boy-c7bwm2.jpg to see what I mean.

Comment

Well, here's the a almost finished temporary cover. Just need to add the rubber edging and sticky foam padding on the bottom. At least the hood, side screens etc aren't now sitting on the carpet directly on the fuel pipes and electrical.

I'll make something better after the summer.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by David; 15-05-16, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I’ve seen a technique used on one of those car refurbishment shows (bling my ride, overhauling, etc.) where they made a rough mdf enclosure for massive subwoofers, amps, etc. and covered it in a stretchy fabric. It was taken away and came back the same curvy shape but rigid. I assume they used fibreglass to give it strength. I think this is the technique used in your alamy picture.
                  Paul

Comment

I to use the garden table as a bench, annoys the hell out of my wife.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      I to use the garden table as a bench, annoys the hell out of my wife.

Adrian
                      LOL - Louise didn't say anything, must have been tempted though

Comment

Here's the finished item, as usual I spent far too much time and effort on what is supposed to be a temporary fix...

MDF on wood batons, glued, screwed and varnished. Covered in heat shrink adhesive vinyl (same as used on my rear wings), then door seal rubber on the ends to make it a snug fit and foam rubber strip on the bottom to stop it rattling around on the chassis.

Last thing to do is cover the underside with glue on sound insulation, then it'll disappear under the existing carpet never to be seen.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by David; 18-05-16, 01:31 PM.

Comment

On the other hand... it does look a very nice piece of work and as my dad always said: "If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well".

Comment

That table again

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                            X