Let me tell you a story....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me tell you a story....

I won't say where I take my car to be MOT'd because this may just be co-incidence but second time I've used them and second time I've had issues after collecting the car.

Last year there was a funny smell after half a mile so I stopped popped the bonnet off and the expansion tank was wedged into the exhaust headers and melting! How the hell did that happen, someone must have moved it and then not put it back. Very odd.

This year (last week) they call to say they couldn't start the car, turns out a young lad had pulled the choke right out and left it out... flooded. But not to worry he had the plugs out and was cleaning them up, why? Just leave it for half an hour and try again.

So I collect the car and on the way home it starts 'flubbering' (that's my word for fuel starvation), you know, that not firing on all cylinders and no power. I get home and it's fine the next day in the drive so I guess it was still 'flooded' so I book it in to get the wheel bearing fixed today.

Starts fine, runs OK until warm but on driving off it starts flubbering again so back home to check the (transparent inline) filter, no fuel in it, gauge shows fuel, rock the car I can hear fuel. Conclusion, crap in the tank so this evening I will try and blow the line out and see if they helps. I will also remove that silly inline 'octane' booster that someone fitted in the 80/90's.

The bonus is that when I do get it to the the shop to sort out the wheel bearing we can take the rear axle off, and the fuel tank then get it cleaned out.

Moral of the story, get the MOT changed to Autumn, so any problems thrown up can be fixed during the winter, not when I want to be driving it in Spring!

Back to work...
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Let me tell you a story....

I've used the same test station for more years than I can remember, but it's just that -an MOT testing establishment, they don't do repairs etc.
    Despite getting to knowing the staff there I never ever 'leave' the Marlin or any other vehicle while they do the test, while they have the keys I want to be there to see what they are doing.
    I would change your testing station/or don't let it out of your sight or both!

Comment

Re: Let me tell you a story....

just had the berly ct'd here in finistere(french version of the mot, needed to register the car here a la frog) - the inspector invited me to view the test, which i did, even whilst up on the hoist, however that was the good, now the bad, the test was a joke, even passing with a partially locked on front nearside pad, i live by the coast in an exposed location, there is lots of airbourne salt here, that i suspect had caused the problem, however got the new reg without further probs! just need to strip and replace the discs and pads for peace of mind!

Comment

Working...
      X