I don't beleeeeive it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't beleeeeive it

After work today, in fact hours after work today I was pottering in the garden killing weeds and Slugs etc whilst clasping a pint of Cider, I then decided to amble over to the garage and have a potter in there. The battery I replaced last week ( The utterly dead one ) is now fully charged after 3 days of being on my little charger, it never improved at all on the first day but I left it there charging away, anyhow I tested the voltage and it's at 12.5 Volt then I put my 'shunt' tester on said battery and it seems fine and good to go, I then had it in mind to start the Marlin ( Or see if it would start ) and you would never guess what happened next ( Or maybe you would ? ) The flippin Battery was utterly dead ! anyhow I attached the charger to this battery and it's accepting the charge from the word go, but I wonder what could be draining the battery to that extent over two days, there was nothing left on ( As I thought with the previous battery ) in fact there ain't much on the car to leave on. This odd problem occurred for the first time last week. I've isolated everything now using the main battery lead switch prior to further investigations.
    All suggestions will be gratefully received. I might add, the battery service from Ebay was next day and superb. £ 35.00 free delivery for the same battery I bought for our Toyota at £55.00 at Halfords.

Harry.

Re: I don't beleeeeive it

Only one thing left, a dodgy alternator. Try disconnecting the plug from the alternator but leave the battery connected, go back in a few days refit alternator plug and start car to see what happens.

Comment

Harry, have you tried the possibility that one of the terminals has become detached inside the battery. Put the tester accross the battery and try twisting and pressing down on the posts to see if you get a reading. Just a thought...
      Gareth.

Comment

I solved my 'dead battery' issue by disconnecting the clock in the dashboard...
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          I solved my 'dead battery' issue by disconnecting the clock in the dashboard...

So at least you found the fault in time!

Comment

Originally posted by greyv8pete View Post
            so at least you found the fault in time!
            #lol
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

My Diesel S3 Landrover would flatten it's battery after a few days, There was a 500ma drain. After much disconnectings I found that the radio main lead should have gone to the ignition switch and a secondary wire to the battery to keep the memory. Once the main lead was re- routed problem was solved.

Comment

Hello Gareth, yes it did cross my mind with the original battery, but not the new one.
                Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Afternoon Phil, it was the Alternator, once I charged the battery then took voltage readings across the battery terminals several times there was always about 0.5 volt drop in the reading with the Alternator connected, although the Alternator was charging ok, so I should think a few Diode's have quietly passed away. Anyhow I had another old MGB Lucas Alternator in the Garage so I cleaned in up and fitted it, I let it run for a while and did the same Volt test as before and the readings were the same connected or not, so hopefully that minor problem is solved, I later took the Marlin out for a run and all was well apart from the spot of drizzle.

Comment

Hi Harry, glad you are all sorted. It happens a lot with alternators they turn into electric motors due to the armature being a lightly powered permanent magnet. The main feed from the battery to the alternator is always live and if the regulator or the diode pack are iffy in the alternator it turns itself into an electric motor and sucks the juice out of the battery.
                    One reason to fit a battery cut out switch and run a feed to your clock direct from the battery or main live feed.
                    you can get new diode pack and regulator and even an output upgrade for your alternator (eBay or the like), it's an easy job to do for about £20.00

But well done, old Percy Verence wins again, only one bad point really it's going to rain for nearly all next week, bugger.

Comment

I was checking over the old unit and it's dated 4/89, so it ain't done badly, I think the one I've fitted is even older, and yes, I've had a look on the bay, I might send for a new pack, it's years since I've tinkered with Alternators etc as these modern cars seem to run for years, such as my Mondeo, 140,000 miles before any of the original components required replacing, but boy have prices changed over the years, I remember when my MK3 Cortina Alternator ( Also a Lucas ) was £14.00 service exchange at East avenue auto electrics Wrexham. I cannot remember having this particular type of Alternator problem, it was always a rectifier pack total failure ( Not Charging ) or bearings.

Comment

Hi Harry, If I remember correctly there isn't too much work involved, a couple of screws and a two wires to be soldered all fairly straight forward.
                        http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/ is a company I have used in the past mainly because the service is excellent and next day delivery on all starter motors and alternators.

Repairing your old alternator is easy enough and there are plenty of You Tube how to do it, if you get stuck. It also gets you out of shopping etc. and a couple of hours in the garage including tea breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                          Hi Harry, If I remember correctly there isn't too much work involved, a couple of screws and a two wires to be soldered all fairly straight forward.
                          http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/ is a company I have used in the past mainly because the service is excellent and next day delivery on all starter motors and alternators.

Repairing your old alternator is easy enough and there are plenty of You Tube how to do it, if you get stuck. It also gets you out of shopping etc. and a couple of hours in the garage including tea breaks.
                          I used Allparts, £50 they sent it off and it took two days.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                          X