I should have know better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should have know better.

I know not to venture far over the bank holidays but it had to be done, I'm not too happy with the way the old 1800 MG engine accelerates from mid range or the way it runs at high revs, but she plods along well most of the time, I've checked and adjusted everything so I've put the problem down to either a tired old engine ( though the compression is good ) and Carbs, or I simply expect too much, I'm not into turning the car into a Money pit she's been spoilt as it is, so by way of one last try, I removed the pancake air filters and took the Marlin for a test drive to Costa del Rhyl I never made it to Colwyn bay, the A55 was at a standstill so I headed off to Abergelly and spent an hour sitting in the traffic admiring the Castle wall before turning off at the little industrial estate for a much needed pee, returning to the queue I eventually made it through the town and had a clear run through to Ruthin and home, it was a nice drive on a nice day apart from the traffic. Removing the filters made no difference that I could detect. I seem to remember my old 1300 and 1800 BMC engines being more willing or is it just the passing of time playing tricks ?

Re: I should have know better.

Check the obvious, timing?

I think we do expect too much of these old engines. Spoilt by modern cars.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi David, yes I've checked the timing several times and set it at different RPM, with some interesting results, almost every setting sounds great in the garage but it's a different story out on the road, I'm thinking of fitting the original Lucas distributor with its Vernier adjuster ( AS AN EXPERIMENT ) as these electronic types from the likes of Acuspark can be problematic so I'm led to believe.
      The old 1800 B series has quite a good Torque rating but compared to my 2ltr Duratorque engine in my Mondeo its quite wimpy, and there I think lies part of the problem. I think I need to drive another couple of 1800 Marlins to make sure ?
      Anyone else been out today ?

Comment

Hi Harry,
        Don't think I could ever be tempted to spend money on an electronic ignition system. Keep it simple. They may make your engine start easier but I've heard of so many failing or cause problems like yours. Give the old stuff a clean and put it back on. At least it can be fixed at the side of the road.
        Debate......

Comment

Hi Gareth, as far as I can see the electronic distributor seems a very good idea, the old motors do start better and are possibly more reliable to a point, but as you say, once these systems fail you're screwed, the Marlin I have now was fitted with a early version and it failed a week after I bought the car, but not without warning, these units tends to heat up and cut out, but given a minute the car can be started, they will eventually die altogether. I later bought an MG engine with all its components, I fitted the engine including a nice new acuspark distributor but have not been entirely happy with it, anyhow I'll let you know how I get on once I've fitted the original ( Maybe tomorrow ) an excuse for more test driving !

Comment

Working...
          X