It's been a while ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while ....

I was originally an MOC member in around 1983, when I bought a Triumph based , 'running restoration' which was in need of much TLC. The original car was built on the running gear from a Herald Estate which benefitted from disks up front, had a 1200 engine which had a twin 40 Webber fitted. I quickly sourced an alternative engine, spitfire cam, twin 1.25" SUs and set about an engine rebuild.

I finished the engine the week before our wedding in 1985 and promptly drove it from Leicestershire to merseyside without a hitch ! We left our wedding reception in "928CDU" dressed up in the time honoured fashion..

I was a regular goer to stoneleigh in those days and also a show at Meriden if anyone can remember it ?

The car came off the road in 1988 when time and finances were short. I know it was 88 as there is a MOC sticker on the windscreen to prove it ! Since then we've moved house twice, and although tempted, ive never got around to selling the car.

8 years ago I decided to go for some serious recommissioning and rebuilt front and rear suspension brakes, hydraulic system, half shafts, steering rack etc. ! at the same time we had an extension to the house, so the Marlin got put to the back of the jobs queue again !

A few weeks ago a friend in Sweden made me an offer for the car, but wanted it running and asked me what needed doing, currently I estimate that it needs a new fuel tank , distributor and some hydraulic bleeding .. Fingers crossed !
    My friend pulled out when he realised, that he'd need to put it through the equivalent of an SVA test to get it on the road, something which would be uneconomical. In the meantime I started to think, how hard can it be, and suddenly I think I've got the bug again.

So I've joined the MOC after a break of 28 years , please don't make me pay missing subscriptions ! I'm hoping it gives me the motivation to recommission my roadster.

Compared to some of the pictures I've seen of show cars , of course it's rough. But I've also seen a lot worse, and in many respects, the years have been kind to it !

Good to hear the MOC is still in existence and I'm looking forward to chatting to you all on the forum & hopefully at meets soon !

BTW.. I now live near Warwick ??????
    Richard
    Last edited by 928cdu; 11-07-16, 05:08 PM.
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: It's been a while ....

Welcome back 928 cdu
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Indeed, welcome back Richard. The only pic of 928 which we have in the archive is (suitably censored) here, so any others you have would be most welcome.
      My contact details are in Pitstop should you be able to help, and I look forward to catching up with you sometime/somewhere
      Regards Dave Cunnington
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dcunn; 12-07-16, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Richard I have sent you a PM
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

What a terrible photo, especially considering my other hobby is photography !

I'll put it right ASAP !
          Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
          Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Thanks Richard. I think it was scanned from an old Pitstop, then greatly enlarged. It was at least a record pic for the archive, and probably one of the worst quality ones I have !

Comment

Working...
            X