No announcement yet.

Single exhaust box with good muffling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single exhaust box with good muffling?

I'm hoping to make up a side-exit system for a Berli but I'm concerned it will be too loud - espec the dreadful cruising drone you can sometimes get.

Can anyone recommend an efficient 'box that can be used on its own that'll give a nice burble but is otherwise sociable?

For use with a 2.0l Pinto. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Single exhaust box with good muffling?

Donnie,
    There are many factors that determine the noise output from an exhaust. By having a short exhaust that exits at the side will increase the noise levels, thats why we do it!! You will only be able to fit in 1 silencer box as well which will increase noise. If you want side exit and as quiet as possible then get a silencer made for your application. Custom chrome are good at this. Rule of thumb though is pretty simple. The greater the "volume" of the silencer box the better. Also remember the larger the pipe bore the louder it will be. For off the shelf take a look at the tiger silencers in the demon tweeks catalogue, part number SSUV1 at ?53.22 + vat. This has 2" bore - good size - and is 550mm long with an oval Xsection 102x178mm. This should give decent silencing but keeping a good noise. As motorsport is becoming more sensitive to noise levels there are other options too. If you go this route and it is too noisey then you could fit a decibel reducer. These are available from Europa quite cheaply, made by Jetex I believe. This will reduce the levels by about 5dB at 3/4 rpm.
    Hope this helps.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon.
      Very helpful indeed - lots of food for thought! Many thanks.

Comment

Message originally posted by: toby holland
        i can make you a pipe / system in Powerflow stainless steel if you are interested - i am just doing mine on my bmw 325 engined Berlinetta! toby(at)phautos.co.uk

Comment

Hi Toby.

Very kind offer. My current system actually got through the MOT without any problems, so I'm shelving the side exhaust idea until it becomes necessary!

Cost would also be a major factor, so I was looking at the simple use of SS flexi pipe to get from a cut-down downpipe to a suitable box. I'm sure your system will be fantastic, but probably out of my league

Comment

Toby, Hi, I would be very intrested to hear more about your BMW powered Berlinetta. Is the car cortina based or sierra? Are you using the getrag box. What mods did you do to achive hydraulic clutch? or did you go another route? I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the convertion

Comment

Working...
            X