X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOFT TOP AND REAR SEAT BELTS

Message originally posted by: STUART MOLYNEUX
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH A FEW ENQUIRES.
    I have recently bought my first Berlinetta, although I have lusted after one for many years! It has a hard top but I would realy like to get a soft top for it, I have been told I can get one made for about ?700 but i am afraid this is just unafordable to me. Has anyone got one lurking in their garage?
    Does anone know where I stand legally, with regard to rear seat belts? I do take the occaisonal small person in the back but their are no belts fitted! is this illegal or not? I do realise it is not considered safe but I need to know if it is legal.
    Any advuice would be most welcome.
    Stuart.......

Re: SOFT TOP AND REAR SEAT BELTS

stuart
    I purchased a new hood for my cabrio from Lange and Potter,Galileo Close,Newham indust estate,Plymton,Plymouth.The cost was ?175 +vat!!!I beleive they were the original suppliers to Marlin,so should be able to help with Berli

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (Editor, MOC)
      Hi Stuart

Congratulations on becoming a Berli owner! Have you joined the Club yet?

Not sure where you stand regarding rear seat belts. The car is certainly known as a 4 seater therefore technically you should have rear seat belts, but to date, no-one has come forward to say they have been penalised for not having any and there are certainly plenty of owners who travel or have travelled with little people in the back. Sometimes bigger people sitting sideways! I suspect if you contact the DVLA they may not have an immediate view on it but it could open up a can of worms to a pedantic DVLA officer. So maybe Mum's the word, drive carefully and wait until the MOT station says something!

Anyone else have any comments? It's a good one....

Comment

Stuart lap belts are fairly easy to fit.

Comment

I remember when I bought my Berlinetta (from a man who himself bought it from its builder)I was told that the easiest way round a lack of rear seat belts was to remove the rear seat cushioning when presenting the car for MOT. That way the tester would look on it as a 2-seater only and not check for rear seat belts. The inference here was that if it has rear seats, it must have adequate belts. This may change from test station to test station, and the law may well have changed since I heard this (5 years-ish ago). BTW does anyone know what happened to Q897 MHK?

Comment

Message originally posted by: STUART
            THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP, I HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU SOMETIME.
            STUART

Comment

My understanding on rear seatbelts (but I may well be wrong...) is that if they were not an original fit on the vehicle - and they weren't on the Berli - then there is no obligation to retro-fit.

How many Berlis have been successfully MOT'd without rear belts?!

However, if you are planning to carry lil' uns in the back (as I am), then belts would obviously be a very good idea.

Comment

Working...
              X