Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front anti roll bars

Message originally posted by: stuart benson
    i know this may sound like a stupid question, but based on the fact that we have a "2nd hand" kit car (donor car dismantled years ago) and now cannot find th front anti roll bars, the question is this:

are they really needed and what effet will it have on the handling of the car

(the car is the cortina based berlinetta)

Re: front anti roll bars

Hi Stuart. In the dim recesses of my memory ,I recall that when I built my Berli , the anti roll bars were not required . No reason was given, and the car seemed to manage quite well without them. Reference to the build manual in section 2.3 says ''excluding anti-roll bar.'' Hope that helps.

Comment

I believe it's due to the lower weight of the Berli compared to the Cortina, and also to it's lower posture. Fitting the anti-roll bar would probably stiffen the front suspension too much.

Comment

A convertion was reqd if you wished to fit an anti roll bar. This was something you had to tackle your self because the standard set up would not allow the standard anti roll bar to be fitted.

Comment

With correct springs, dampers and suspension settings, my Berli tends to have neutral handling. I have the skinny anti roll bar at the rear and none at the front. She would probably understeer with a front anti roll bar which would suddenly change to oversteer in extreme manoeuvres. My handling is nice and progressive at the moment.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: stuart benson
            thats great ! just the news we were after

thanks very much for all the answers

Comment

I know of several with front antiroll bar fitted giving excellent results. Depends what you are using the car for,and is a purely personal choice.

Comment

Working...
              X