205 block vs older Pinto.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 205 block vs older Pinto.

Got my old ('75 Cortina) Pinto fired up, and can just make out the Berli through the haze...

It's not quite that bad but will clearly need replacing/rebuilding sooner rather than later.
    Can anyone tell me if the 205 engine from early, carb, Sierras and the 5-speed 'box (type 9?) will be a straight fit? Are the engine and g'box mountings in the same place, and is the 'box the same length as the old 4-speed?

What is the difference with the 205 block - is it just a 'stronger' unit?

Thanks for any help.

Re: 205 block vs older Pinto.

Stronger block Donnie. The same block as used for the cosworth. Better headas well. the engine fitted with the cortina mounts and not the alloy sierra ones will go stright in . The box will as well,but you need to make a new hole in a slightly different position for the gear stick. Also when you put the gearbox mount from the 4speed box on you may need to drill new locating holes in the two channel sections that the mount bolts to. The prop should be okay. Any more info reqd please get in touch. I have done this convertion several times. If you can find an injected sohc. The injection comes off and manifold and carb bolt on also most of these engines are lead free heads. I have the nos that relate to lead free if you req them.

Comment

Excellent Danny. Good advice re. the unleaded head - clearly the one to go for.
      The unleaded head no.s would be very useful.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Look for P.PP or R.RR on a 2000ccblock and M.MM or N.NN on a 1600cc stamped on head.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Danny Nelson.
          PS The injection does not work the other way round. IE you cannot bolt the injection system onto a head that originaly had a manifold and carb factory fitted.

Comment

Many thanks again, Danny.
            While you're on a roll with this (!), just how significant would the power drop be by going for a 1.6 instead of 2.0L? Top speed isn't so much an issue, but I'd still like her to have a bit of poke on country roads. (Just trying to keep my options as open as possible since pre-DOHC Sierras seem to be pretty thin on the ground!)

Comment

Stick with the 2000cc or I feel you may be disapointed. This is a personal opinion.

Comment

Will do! Thanks.

Comment

Is fitting a DOHC instead of a Pinto a straight-forward job; change of engine mounts, etc., or is it more complex than that?

Thanks.

Comment

Donnie speak to Sue, club member Bob Cawte in their local group SHEB. has done this convertion. From the horses mouth so to speak.

Comment

Thanks again, Danny.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mark Barnes
                        Hi,
                        I was reading on a Ford Website about the DOHC engine which seems to be a far better engine than my old SOHC. So how difficult is it to swap?

Comment

Hi Mark.
                          Still trying to track down Bob Cawte - I'll feedback when I have some info.

Comment

Hi Donnie. Quite a few of us including Bob Cawte, Sue & ourselves are at the Exmoor Run this weekend so not around for emails etc

Comment

Thanks Liz.

Comment

Working...
                              X