Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio

Hi Folks,
    Rejoined after a few years break. Still not finished the build.(is there a time limit on these things ?)
    Cabrio 1651 T4, 1989/90.

Sierra donor.
    2.0 Pinto
    5 speed standard box.
    Webber Carb. No electronics.
    Focus alloys.

Re: Cabrio

Welcome back, another Jimmy
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Och aye the noo

Comment

Originally posted by baldyman 2 View Post
        Hi Folks,
        Rejoined after a few years break. Still not finished the build.(is there a time limit on these things ?)
        Cabrio 1651 T4, 1989/90.

Sierra donor.
        2.0 Pinto
        5 speed standard box.
        Focus alloys.

No time limit, just an IVA to pass.
        Mike will doubtless be along later, probably the last person to put a Cabrio through an IVA.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by baldyman 2 View Post
          Hi Folks,
          Cabrio 1651 T4, 1989/90.

Sierra donor.
          2.0 Pinto
          5 speed standard box.
          Focus alloys.

Hi Baldyman

Welcome back........ how long have you "been away"?
          Did you buy the Cabrio kit new? - if yes you will extend my record for the longest build - I took 11 years to finish my kit from new!

If you read through the IVA guide and apply it to your kit the Cabrio goes through without too much bother - its basic build quality and then sharp edges that you have to be aware of. There are several little things that you will need to read the guide on to make sure they do not trip you up - having a look at other builders blogs on their IVA is useful (although it can add time to your build as you try to avoid every IVA trip hazard possible!).

My build is detailed under the Marlin Build Diary: Mikes cabrio Build Diary
          Here you can keep up to date and help support club members who are currently building or renovating their cars.

and there are more photos on my flickr site:

My advice would be to not fit the hood (too many potential sharp edges) and possibly side windows (my glass failed due to lack of sufficient radius!) - although the latter can be covered with U channel fitted over the edge, and the winder mechanism disabled.

Good luck with your build, and keep us informed on progress - we all love to see what others are up to!!!.

All the best
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,I bought the vehicle around 1995 as a rolling chassis with suspension and wheels roughly fitted. Think its a 90/91 maybe. Chassis number is 1651 T4. I`m just recently back to it since about 2005. I`ve fitted a 2 litre Pinto with a standard 5 - speed Sierra box. Took absolutely ages to find a fuel tank to fit but I eventually got one from Flea Bay,hit it with a hammer a few times and made it fit. I stripped out the window and door mechanisms from the donor vehicle but not started that yet. Onwards and upwards at a leisurely pace now

Comment

Working...
            X