This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk1 chassis SWB.

SWB Roadster chassis any good to anyone? Bit of surface rust here and there but no rot.
    I am trying (very carefully) to get the windscreen out in one piece, it has been sealed in with putty that has gone hard. IMG_3240.JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by meverett; 30-12-16, 03:42 PM.

Re: Mk1 chassis SWB.

I know early Marina kits were labelled as a Mk 1 but this is what is generically referred to as a Mk2 Marina based chassis.

The windscreen on early kits was normally fitted using glazing putty for metal windows and it goes like concrete, so best of luck with that.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That's an early/mid mk2 Marina chassis with a couple of mods.
      The biggest clue is the simplified rear seat belt mounting. But the chassis number on the plate on the offside front chassis leg should be able to give it a better date.

Not sure if it has a better than scrap value, unless someone has a severely bent chassis.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks for the info, did think afterwards that this was the mk2 tbh. No chassis plate to identify.
        This is now surplus and storage space is now very low due to having another chassis mounted on axle stands in the garage and all the parts x2 scattered around the garage.
        The windscreen is proving to be a right pain in the rear, I've tried all sorts, even an air multisaw which will work but seriously time consuming.

Comment

Odd that you have no chassis number. Theoretically the MOT tester should locate it every year to match it to the records held by DVLA under the current system, but many don't bother.
          On a Marina Mk2 chassis it should be here, as it should also should be on your replacement chassis.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
            Odd that you have no chassis number. Theoretically the MOT tester should locate it every year to match it to the records held by DVLA under the current system, but many don't bother.
            On a Marina Mk2 chassis it should be here, as it should also should be on your replacement chassis.
            http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...Chassis+number
            Looks like it has been removed!!!!!

image.jpg
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
              Looks like it has been removed!!!!!

[ATTACH]8116[/ATTACH]
              I zoomed in too, but I could not decide for certain.
              Its not unusual on early kit cars, the authorities were not so worried about cut and shut and stolen car identity.
              Quite possibly the car has been rebuilt before after accident damage or....
              I wonder what chassis number will appear on the next version of the assembled parts?
              I don't think it's a big issue, just curious.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Oh you suspicious lot :-).
                I have the chassis tag but it is unreadable at the moment until I try to clean it up.
                It was hanging off and as my intention was to scrap this chassis I decided to keep it.
                Like you said its probably not worth anything more that scrap value.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                  Oh you suspicious lot :-).
                  I have the chassis tag but it is unreadable at the moment until I try to clean it up.
                  It was hanging off and as my intention was to scrap this chassis I decided to keep it.
                  Like you said its probably not worth anything more that scrap value.
                  But you told us there was no chassis plate, so we draw conclusions.
                  Now we learn there is a chassis plate.
                  Which begs the question, are you rebuilding a different chassis, if it's stripped down are you planning to update the seat belt mountings that were always a bit of an afterthought.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Worth keeping as is just in case someone does bend a chassis in the future. One for the virtual club spares list....
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Old chassis now scrapped

Comment

Working...
                      X