Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent member

greetings one and all,
    After recently aquiring a Marlin all be it with a blown Alfa engine I decided to do a rebuild on a Triumph Spitfire 1500 engine ( this section can be seen in the build diary section by darth Vader), well to cut a very long story short I started stripping the old gal down. And as expected I discovered a few shocking points one of which being the disaster that should be the wiring loom, ( you need to be from Bletchly park to work it out!) so after lots of really bad language I decided the best course of action would be make up a new loom. I will be including a few pictures for you all to have a really good laugh over, so where was I? yes the strip down well I got all of the front end off and basically gutted the engine bay, and I am planning to change the colour from a dreary red looking colour to a Rover sun burst red.
    well during the strip down I have also discovered some one has used 10 tonns of body filler to hold the grill in place so head ache No 1 some one must have had a serious fetish about silicon or they had shares in a silicon company because it took me all day Sunday to slowly scrape it all off head ache No 2, but the worst part is the humungus hole that has been cut in the near side front panel to accomodate a really bad fitting exhaust HUGE head ache No3, well ( dont worry nearing the end of my tale of woe!)
    the long and the short of it is the car will be off the road for a good year just to get her back into shape, I am considering changing the aluminium front bulk head pannel for alloy diamond plate.
    20170528_164013.jpg20170528_183225.jpg20170528_163943.jpg20170528_163952.jpg20170528_221217.jpg

Re: Recent member

That loom will go again - look at the "as found" one in my build diary for Q67

I put an enlarged/revised version of the Marina wiring diagram on this site, you may find it useful, or you can
    email me direct for a higher res version

Rgds DC

PS silicon is sometimes better than permanently soggy feet !

Comment

I agree with dcunn . the wiring loom looks recoverable. Take your time with a wiring diagram and it will make sense . With luck wires won't change colour in the loom. Some of mine did. Mine is still a bit of a birds nest, but it works. Humungous exhaust hole , polished S/S decorative cover. Yes silicone much better than soggy feet and knees. Good luck.

Comment

Greetings
        thanks for the advice, however what you cant really see in the picture is that sone of the wiring has been replaced with 240 volt 2.5 wire, and for some reason I suppose to solve problems most of the electrical circuits have been wired to only one or two fuses and there are bit of wire chopped in everywere so for safety sake I have taken the decision to build up a new loom. and added to this is I plan to go with a new fuse box using the micro fuses.
        will check out your posting
        thanks chaps.
        Darth Vader
        Mike

Comment

The Marina loom is very badly fused and full current for all the stalk controlled items carry the full current.
          Relays will reduce the load of the 30/40 year old switches.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'm just wrapping up a slow re-wiring job...whilst the old Marina loom worked, once removed it was clear that some of the more hard to get at areas were suffering & a number of connections were beginning to break down. Added to which it has been added to over the years, with the usual mix of connectors.

As a replacement I've gone for an Autosparks deluxe kit car loom which is about as idiot proof as it gets (barring the hazard switch, where the wiring is not designed for a Mini-style rocker but my new dash was..!). It's not a budget option but the quality is superb & it provides Lucas-standard colour coding, dedicated earth circuits, 14 fuses & 5 relays (all the earths come back to a single point). The downside was a 9 week wait (made to order, so you can specify any extras) which has put a dent in the schedule..!

For panel sealing I use the butyl plasticine-style strip in certain places...it is especially useful around panels which you forsee removing in the future and for hard to reach bits where the silicone gun can't reach.
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
            X