Cabrio Engine Bay Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Engine Bay Size

Does anyone out there happen to know if there is any difference in the size of the engine bay between a SWB and LWB Cabrio? (ie is the difference in wheelbase purely down to extra cabin length?). The reason for asking is that I'm keen to fit a 6 cylinder BMW engine into my SWB Cabrio but I'm not sure if this is only possible in the LWB version. Thanks

Re: Cabrio Engine Bay Size

Simon
    Difference in length is only in cabin area (2ins longer doors and 2ins behind doors in tail section).engine bay is the same on SWB AND LWB.Have fitted a M20 engine to LWB myself, any problems/questions please E-Mail peter(at)morris504.fsworld.co.uk, as I am now the official technical rep for this Car/engine configuration.

Comment

Simon

Research your BMW engines before comitting yourself.
      You will be limited to the \'small block\' 6 cylinder, as the engine bay is not big enugh to take the larger block (3.0+ litre) engines. peter Morris opted for the M20, but you do have the option of the M50 engine (from the E36), or even the M52, though the electronics will be much more challenging.
      i researched this at length, and concluded the best engine would be the M50, with 24 valves and Vanos variable timing, but non complicated wiring. The 2.5 develops 192BHP, and enormous torque at low revs making this a very smooth engine with low down pulling power. The 2.0 ltr will be even smoother and will probably rev more freely if that\'s what your after.
      Peter Morris has contributed 3 very good and intersting articles on his conversion in the Pitstop magazine. But I felt he dismissed the M50 rather too lightly. The M50 is a more modern engine, more refined, but not difficult to interface with your existing electronics.
      Chris Cunliffe has completed a build with an M50 engine and would be a very good contact; you will have to be patient though as he is having his own new cottage built and will ne \'off air\' from email for the next 6 weeks. I have his phone number if you want to take this further. Give me an email on mands.garner(at)btinternet.com
      Happy researching
      Mike

Comment

Oh dear
        Forum definitely needs a spell checker facility!
        Mike

Comment

Have resisted this comment for some time, but the M50 was not dismissed lightly as sugested by Mike. Yes it's a more modern engine with more power, but the very important point I made was that as far as DIY engine repairs go, it's not good. Did you know that you cannot even remove the camshaft without special tools. Did you also know that replacement Vanos units cost an arm and a leg (yes they break). Looking at chris Cunliffe's instalation there is no space between the front of the engine and the radiator, which means you probably cannot work on the front of the engine without removing the nosecone, you can on the M20 istallation. I know chris loves his engine but what will he do if it breaks. He might have access to BMW experts but I cetainly do not. As a DIY proposition the M20 can be completely stripped as easily as a pinto.

Comment

Working...
          X