Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster 1.8 Marina Based for sale in Italy

Hello to everybody

I'm a lucky owner of a beautiful Marlin Roadster in Italy.

But it's time for me to change project with classic car.

I've not a big garage to store another car, so I need to sell the Marlin and I'm not happy to do this.

Here you can find some information about the car.

I get this info from the club:

· The original registration plate KJD111K (that I have) seems to indicate the donor car was built around 1972 but the Marlin constructed from its parts may not have been till much later.

· The 1798cc engine is a Morris Marina B series engine - this is the same engine as the MGB GT 1.8 engine so all parts are easily available.

· Kit chassis number 2519 left the Marlin factory in February 1984, sold to Mr T G Pearce, and we believe he still owned the car until at least July 1996. The next information we have is that it was owned by a Mr R Jackson, dates unknown, and then as written on your V5 document Mr B Mays owned it from 25 05 2007.

The car was imported in italy from Mr. Davide Lo Porto in june 2010.

In september the 13th 2010 the car was sold to Mr. Aldo Fasoli and just one month later in october the 19th, the car was passed to the company of his son that is called 3A Communication. This company rented the car for marriage.

I bought the car in november the 16th 2015 from 3A Communication.

This is the italian history of the car until now.

Work done: I have some documentation of work done in England from previous owner.

In Italy I know from the previous owner that he has changed the front suspension, the clutch master cylinder and he tuned the engine to work well with no lead gasoline.

From November 2015 I did this works on the car:
    · Complete review of the starter engine
    · Complete rebuild of the electrical system of the car (now all is working good)
    · New Battery installed
    · New tyres installed in december 2015
    · New wooden steering wheel and gear knob (the originals were awful)
    Total spent 1.000 euros

In september 2017 I've done these other works:
    · New brake master cylinder installed
    · New clutch slave cylinder installed
    · Original Radiator restoration (I have one new ready to install if needed)
    · Liquid cooling changed
    · Engine Oil changed
    · Brake fluid changed
    · Air filter regeneration
    · New gear seal installed
    Total spent 500 euros

Now the car works well.

I bought an Honda Civic Radiator to replace the original one, and this is included in the price of the car, but now after the restoration of the original one seems that the overheating problem is quite solved.

The only thing that is not working is the Smiths speedometer due to the fact that I didn’t find the right combination of gauge and tacho gear equipment.

People of the club suggested me to change the tacho and install a GPS one, but I’ve preferred to maintain the original instruments.

So the car is a beautiful car ready to go, but it’s not a perfect car, especially if you look at the body.

There are some signs and details to repaint if you want but it has a vintage look now..

I think the only one thing to do, if you want to have a perfect car is to repair the speedometer and repaint the body.

I have some spare parts included in the price:
    · Starter solenoid
    · Full set of engine gasket
    · Full set of gear gasket
    · New Radiator
    · Kit to repair brake master cylinder
    · Tachometer cable
    · A couple of new body parts for coverage front suspension (in white fiberglass to paint in red)

I have 3 keys with Marlin keyring and several technical documentation, book, cd that I get from the club.

I have also 2 t-shirt and 2 hats from the club, never used.

To see some detailed photos you can look at:

https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/m...3-e350040a933c

Price is 13.500 euro.

You can contact me here or via mail to: [email protected]

That’s all.

Regards

Simone

Re: Marlin Roadster 1.8 Marina Based for sale in Italy

At current that’s £12,106 and rising.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Seems to be O Series powered not B. Nice car.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

O series?

If someone is interested for the price we can discuss (a little)

Comment

Does It mean Ford ohc engine?
          I didn't found any logo in the engine but it's written in the italian registration card of the car.
          So is It a Ford engine or BMC engine?

Comment

Its a British Leyland engine Introduced by BL in 1978 in the rear wheel drive Series 3 Morris Marina and the smaller engined versions of the front-wheel-drive Princess, it was intended to replace the 1.8 L B-Series (MGB type) unit. The main advance over the B-Series was that the new unit was of belt driven overhead camshaft (OHC) configuration, with an aluminium cylinder head. It is a good engine and very reliable. There's a good write up here. Advantages over the B-Series unit were a lower all-up weight, but in terms of refinement and performance there was little difference on the road. A friend of mine had the Ital with this engine and I have to say it drove well, the lighter weight (40 lbs lighter) suiting the awful marina much better. I'm sure someone will add to this, it's quite an interesting topic.
            Last edited by Cameron F; 15-11-17, 08:51 AM.

Comment

From what I saw of pics of your car its definitely a Marina 1.8 engine.
              1972 matches the UK number plate.
              O Series engines appeared around 1980 they were overhead cam design 1695cc, designated as 1.7, fitted in the updated Marina as an ITAL model.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

"o" series Ital OHC. You need to go to Specsavers.
                Attached Files

Comment

Other side view

IMG_20171101_113305.jpg
                  Last edited by spalama; 15-11-17, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spalama View Post
                    Other side view

[ATTACH]9391[/ATTACH]
                    I must have confused your pics somehow.

That's clearly an O Series engine from around 1980 they were overhead cam design 1695cc, designated as 1.7, fitted in the updated Marina as an ITAL model.

Interesting, your registration plate is from a different car to the engine.

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

"In Italy I know from the previous owner that he has changed the front suspension, the clutch master cylinder and he tuned the engine to work well with no lead gasoline."

I'm guessing that was when the engine was swapped as the O series runs on unleaded "out of the box"

Comment

So many thanks to all of you.

But now, do you think is a 1.7 or 2 litres???

And what about the power?

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
                          "In Italy I know from the previous owner that he has changed the front suspension, the clutch master cylinder and he tuned the engine to work well with no lead gasoline."

I'm guessing that was when the engine was swapped as the O series runs on unleaded "out of the box"
                          No I don't think, the previous owner did a tuning of the engine in a Mercedes Official Workshop adjusting the minimum and the carburettor but not modifying cylinder or valve I guess.

The car came to italy with this engine directly from england when it was imported.

But anyway, the engine sounds good, has an hollow sound typical of the bigger engine and the car is very fast (sometimes seems too much).

Comment

If the engine came from a marina it will probably be the 1695 (1.7 litre) but it could be a 2.0 litre (later). Are there marks on the engine? They aren't particularly powerful - about 90bhp??? but in a roadster will be quite spirited. Don't know much more about his engine but Im sure there are many on here who will be able to tell yo all you need to know

Comment

Engine number prefix should provide a clue as to origin...
                              17V = 1.7 RWD Marina/Ital/Sherpa (Sherpa is a low compression version)...
                              20V = 2.0 RWD Marina/Ital (auto-only unless subsequently converted to manual) or Sherpa (had high or low compression versions of the 2.0 engine) or Rover SD1 2000 (unlikely as these were twin carbs).
                              17H & 20H = FWD Princess/Ambassador.

An underrated engine IMHO...I can recall Dad getting his hands on a pre-production 1.7 Princess which went pretty well from what I remember...and ultimately morphed into the M/T series Rover engines.
                              Last edited by lil_red_roadster; 15-11-17, 09:14 PM.
                              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X