chassis number plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassis number plate

Hi all, I have just been given a Marlin roadster by a relative. I wont get to the car for a few weeks and am trying to explain to a friend where to find the plate with chassis number etc. I need this for the V5 as it was lost by my uncle who now lives in the states. The car has been on axle stands for years in a lockup. Can anyone tell me where the plate is likely to be? Thanks Hamish

Re: chassis number plate

Hi Hamish, on the Roadster it is on the left hand side at the front. Just in front of the suspension mounts.
    Cheers,

Comment

Hi Hamish

As archivist I'm very keen to know details of the car - tell me the registration and I may be able to tell you the chassis number,
      and I can check the Roadster database to give you some info on it.

Photos would be welcome once you have access to it.

Meantime, assuming it is a Marina based car, check the chassis as Martin says, and here's a pic to help !

It is a very small plate, and may need scraping to make the numbers visible.

Rgds Dave Cunnington
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
        Hi Hamish, on the Roadster it is on the left hand side at the front. Just in front of the suspension mounts.
        Cheers,
        thats amazing thanks! Much appreciated

Comment

However you may have a problem here as that number is the kit number that may not have been used for the VIN and the car may not have a VIN plate as such.

If the car has either used its old donor VIN or was issued a Vin by DVLA when the car was first put on the road as a Marlin.

Here is some advice that has worked for another member
          You really do need the Vehicle identity number(VIN) so I would first ask the previous owner to make a thorough search for the V5 or second best

an old MOT certificate that will have the VIN on it.

Short of that if the previous owner hasnt changed any of his details he could say he still owns the car and make a phone request and pay by card

to the DVLA on 0300 790 6802.

Otherwise the previous owner needs to write a letter to DVLA saying that the car was sold without its V5 and to who he sold it.

The new owner can apply for a new V5c by downloading the form V62 and if you still don’t know the VIN I suggest you put

a phrase like “ Vin Plate lost or missing or unreadable”

Not sure if you asked your local friendly MOT station if they can help.

Best of luck and please let me know how you get on.
          Last edited by b_caswell; 21-12-17, 05:32 PM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Dave,
            I tried to attach a picture, but don't think my work server is going to allow. Q221OBP. Apart from the fact it has a 2ltr ford engine, I know nothing about it. My Uncle bought it 3-4 years ago and had planned to ship it to the states where he lives, but just never got round to it and now he is ill. He thought it was a Triumph Chassis.
            Anything at all that you know about it would really be appreciated.
            Thanks
            Hamish
            PS, note the strategically place vice on the front bumper ha ha

IMG_3436.JPG
            Last edited by hamishgunn; 22-12-17, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Ben,
              Thanks for this.
              My Uncle lost all paperwork in the Houston flooding a few months ago. I havent managed to scrape around the car yet, but now I know where to look, I will get a pal to see if he can get the numbers.
              Cheers
              Hamish

Comment

Hi

Welcome.

I love that workshop.

I think you will find that you have a MK2 Marina based Roadster.

Hopefully you will also have the 5 speed gearbox as well.

Good luck with the car.

Adrian

Originally posted by hamishgunn View Post
                Hi Dave,
                I tried to attach a picture, but don't think my work server is going to allow. Q221OBP. Apart from the fact it has a 2ltr ford engine, I know nothing about it. My Uncle bought it 3-4 years ago and had planned to ship it to the states where he lives, but just never got round to it and now he is ill. He thought it was a Triumph Chassis.
                Anything at all that you know about it would really be appreciated.
                Thanks
                Hamish
                PS, note the strategically place vice on the front bumper ha ha

[ATTACH]9443[/ATTACH]

Comment

Morning Hamish

Yes we have the chassis number and know a little about the car, and have two pictures of it in earlier times.

The kit left the factory in Dec 1984, it is a standard short wheel base car fitted with a 2 litre Ford Pinto engine.

The last owner we knew about is Mr A Hichens, is this your uncle, or has it moved on since then ?

I await confirmation of the chassis number from your "scraper" as I don't want to put this information in public.

Suggestions :
                  1 Join this club if you haven't already done so, the wealth of experience here will be invaluable to your recommissioning the car
                  2 Check the DVLA site to see what the registration number brings up
                  3 Act on some of Ben's excellent advice in post #5, he has plenty of knowledge on how to do this
                  4 PM/phone/email me at home and I can send car details/pics/chassis number to you

DC

Comment

Thats great thanks Adrian!
                    The workshop is the farm I grew up on. Next workshop is even better with a 2 point lift etc!! So a lovely place to work.
                    Hamish

Comment

Very Dickensian looking - great for the 2019 calender

Comment

PS

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all

Comment

I strongly advise all owners to ensure that their chassis plate matches the v5, otherwise make one that does. Otherwise we are creating a higher risk of cars to be needlessly scrapped in the future.

I believe that previous mot versions almost brought this situation about as they did not require inspection of the chassis plate or even one to be present. I've had my car for 34 years and only done this recently !
                          Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                          Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Just a thought guys, when you're at home and replete with Xmas Fayre, have a look at this list.
                            Here are the 300 plus Roadster registrations which we are so far unable to tie up with chassis/kit numbers

Can you help with any of them (Pretty please) - PM if you prefer not to put the info in the public domain

Seasons Compliments to all DC
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by dcunn; 23-12-17, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Hi Dc,
                              LLN 841K is mine. LWB Roadster. I will update you with chassis number and story by PM when I am a bit more sober (work Xmas party) and make my way to the garage.
                              Cheers and happy Christmas to all. ????????????
                              Martin.
                              Last edited by meverett; 22-12-17, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X