Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlin Roadster With 1600 cc Ford Pinto Motor and 5 Speed Gearbox SUPERB EXAMPLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster With 1600 cc Ford Pinto Motor and 5 Speed Gearbox SUPERB EXAMPLE

I looked at this in 2014 when it was last up for sale at that dealer. Was MOT's then. But I see it's neither taxed or MOT's now and is registered as a Morris. Last MOT was in 2014 so even if it was 'rebuilt' most perishables would need looking at again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Ro...E/232855451673

s-l1600-12.jpg

Have they had difficulty MOT'ing it, new regs perhaps, or because it's registered as a Morris and not a Marlin?
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Marlin Roadster With 1600 cc Ford Pinto Motor and 5 Speed Gearbox SUPERB EXAMPLE

Also on Car & Classic: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1017140

Spinning Wheel have good form for achieving high prices for Marlins. When I was looking to buy they had a hybrid Roadster with 2L straight 6 for sale at £6,495. More than I wanted to pay but it didn't take them long to find a buyer.

Comment

Re: Marlin Roadster With 1600 cc Ford Pinto Motor and 5 Speed Gearbox SUPERB EXAMPLE

Looks to me as though the doors have been altered or am I needing glasses? Not to my taste I'm afraid though the cycle wings are ok.

Comment

The doors are extended down to the main chassis into where the single steel panel was when it had full wings.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
          The doors are extended down to the main chassis into where the single steel panel was when it had full wings.
          I wonder if that will materially alter the stiffness of the chassis in that area.
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

And the strength in the windscreen pillar

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
              And the strength in the windscreen pillar
              Aluminium doors on a couple of lightweight hinges will hardly change the structural strength of the windscreen/roll bar.

Way more important would be the seat belt mounts, that might have saved Listerjp2 a couple of cracked ribs, assuming he had inertia and not fixed seat belts. Perhaps he will enlighten us.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                Aluminium doors on a couple of lightweight hinges will hardly change the structural strength of the windscreen/roll bar.
                I agree but what I meant was what structural steel has been cut out to fit bigger doors.

Comment

Static, if I had inertia I don't think the outcome would have been any different.

Why?

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post

AWay more important would be the seat belt mounts, that might have saved Listerjp2 a couple of cracked ribs, assuming he had inertia and not fixed seat belts. Perhaps he will enlighten us.

Comment

For your information it was the whip lash (which I would have had with inertia anyway) that broke my ribs in my back. I don't have any breaks in the front.

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                    Static, if I had inertia I don't think the outcome would have been any different.

Why?

Comment

I agree but what I meant was what structural steel has been cut out to fit bigger doors.
                      That’s what I meant as well

Comment

The panel that has been cut out was only single skin so don't think it would have much effect on the overall strength.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I actually like the look of it without the running boards and with cycle wings.

Comment

I like the look of the car, not so keen on spinning wheel though had two run ins with them years ago which makes me wary of them, I got what I wanted in both cases but they were a struggle

Comment

I agree best looking one I have seen with cycle wings.

Adrian

I actually like the look of it without the running boards and with cycle wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X