Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlin Roadster hard top & Hard top mould...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster hard top & Hard top mould...

Has anyone ever fitted a hard top to their Roadster?

Re: Marlin Roadster hard top & Hard top mould...

Here’s one for sale on car!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/marlin-ki...0/273383479087
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Note of caution: this one is registered as a Morris and last MOT was in 2012.

Comment

Ben will doubtless confirm that there are several different rear tub designs, I don’t beleive a Mk1 and Mk2 are similar enough to be interchangeable without some work.

But given that there are so few Mk1 on the road, it might be viable for someone to buy the mould if indeed it is a Mk2, but it’s still a limited market to go into production for.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

That mould and hard top would need quite some refining to fit a roadster.

The rear body tub developed over a number of mods but its possible the hard top pictured with the car would fit a late Mk1 as well as the Mk2 car
          but it looks to me like its on a SWB car so the LWB would be another project of its own.

There are a few versions of hard tops out there as various owners have had a go with mixed results.

I personally can't see the point of having a convertible and then sticking a hard top on it. You can hardly fold it into the boot.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That hardtop is too long for a SWB by about4-6". I know 'cause I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
              That hardtop is too long for a SWB by about4-6". I know 'cause I tried it.
              Which one?? the one with mould advert says thats for LWB or the one pictured on the car?

If that one was 6" too long for a SWB then it would also be for a LWB I was going by the picture but obviously I was wrong then.
              Last edited by b_caswell; 07-08-18, 03:53 PM.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I replied to this before but it seems it didn't stick . I meant the hard top with the mould.

Comment

I bought the hardtop and mould. The hardtop is a bit long (I knew it was) but looks a good fit on the back of the tub. It does need a bit(lot) of tidying though. The original owners plan was to make a new hardtop then a new mould. The mould is RUF rough! My plan is to cut the hardtop down to fit my SWB roadster. If you want to make hardtop for a LWB you are welcome to the mould for beer, not lager Beer! It is not a job for beginner though. PM me.
                  Tis foum missing letters s annoying me it is th only oe that does it.I've ried rloading it but it is just thesme.

Comment

Working...
                  X