• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE GREAT NORTHERN RIP-OFF

To: 'info(at)car-shows.co.uk'
    Subject: THE GREAT NORTHERN KIT AND CAR BUILDER SHOW 2006

"GOOD FOOD - GOOD CARS - FAMILY DAY OUT - FANTASTIC VENUE"

I think European Promotions should be investigated under the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

Good food?
    The burger van; one mediocre plain burger and one bacon bap cost ?6.50. The coffee trailer; one small coffee, one small hot chocolate (no better than instant) and a couple of flapjacks cost ?7.20. That is nearly FOURTEEN POUNDS for a rather poor snack for two people. Nobody could possibly describe this food as good. Fantastic value? Are you serious? - fantastic rip-off is far more accurate.

Good cars?
    The single, small exhibition hall had a few good cars, but a good proportion was just tat traders, some of it completely unrelated to cars - plastic horses and weird religious cults if you may! You generously advertise that 'Every driver of a Kit Car will be given free admittance to the show' - you don't mention that the passenger of the kit car will be charged the full NINE POUNDS. This is outrageous and goes to show what a miserable company European Promotions are, even worse considering that the show would have been nothing if it were not for all the various club members who turned up in there own cars for free.

Family Day Out?
    I don't think so. I went round the show twice, inside and out, this took about 3 hours. I didn't look, but I probably couldn't have afforded to go on the single Dodgem ride. I spent some time looking for another exhibition hall as I couldn't believe that this was all there was. Hardly a day out.

Fantastic Value?
    I challenge you to find one person who visited the show who would choose the words 'fantastic value' to describe the event, certainly not me. A few of the trade exhibitors I spoke to where none too happy either - ?300 apparently is a lot for a small pitch at a poor show. I can see now why most of the major manufactures where not in attendance.

I travelled over 250 miles to attend the show and was thoroughly disappointed, and outraged that I had to pay nine pounds for my passenger to get in. I certainly will not be attending any events staged by European Promotions in the future.

Chris Dow

cc Marlin Owners Club Forum

NB.
    Future European Promotions shows to miss in the future!
    South East Motorcycle Show Sept 30 - October 1
    Exeter Kit & Car Builder Show 18 - 19 November

Re: THE GREAT NORTHERN RIP-OFF

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Aw Chris

I'm sorry you had such a naff day. I personally haven't been to Harrogate but your letter to European Shows says it all. I know what you mean about the burger vans. They're probably the same ones that go to all the shows, starting with Detling in April!

Does anyone else who attended have any comments? I know Liz Billings and Danny Nelson went from the Club.

Comments guys?

I'm pretty sure the Exeter Show in November is well received. I don't recall hearing poor feedback.

I'd be interested be hear if you get a reply from European.

Comment

None of the shows are what they used to be. Stoneleigh is still the best . Newark is not very good as far as manufactures go but it is a Show that has an atmosphere among the clubs and members that camp. I know one member who had his daughter cancel her wedding date because it clashed with Newark! Harrogate has never been a very large show, but is the only one in the north that I know of. I attend so that the northern members have the club banner to mark there stand. Ben and liz and Doug all made the trip this year and I was glad of the help. Saturday was the best day on the club stand as was the weather. The Exeter Show is very good, and is not to be compared with Harrogate or Detling. I think Donnington is now quite good as well, but these are all personal opinions, and everyone must judge for themselves. I can remember a gathering in the early days when there were very few cars or manufactures, but the spirit was good. Depends on what you are expecting, and I suppose this is easy for me and others because we know what each show has to offer. Fair to say though that most of the Kit Car industry is very quiet at present.

Comment

Not a naff day at all, just a bit of a swizz for nine quid a person. On the contrary, it was very nice to meet Liz and Danny - and I came away with a nice MOC sweatshirt and matching his & hers wooly hats ;-)

Comment

I did get a reply, so only fair to post it here:

Chris
          thanks for the email to set the fact straight

The food is run by the show ground and nothing to do with me, sorry

I think someone was pulling your leg, the trade stands are nothing like that price, my show stands are by a long way the cheapest in the show industry

Passenger
          Nothings changed with me, I have since 1991 not charged for kit car dirivers unlike other shows and the passengers always have been charged.

As far as major manufactures go, we expected 34 manufactures unfortunately Robin Hood let us down at the last moment ( 6 stands)
          There were 38 at stoneleigh.
          The hall is 3500 sq meters not a small hall, comparable with Donington and Exeter.
          Harrogate is a growing show and I have invested heavily into it making no profit for 4 years

Thanks again for your comments hope this puts the facts right.

John Cooke
          Chairman of Cobra rep club
          President of kent kit car club
          Chairman 289 register

You can see I have the interests of the industry at heart.

My exeter show attracts over 50 top manufacturers

Comment

Should have come to Devon GOOD FOOD GOOD CARS FAMILY DAY OUT FANTASTIC VENUE [allthough i say it myself], more importantly good company,many thanks to everyone who came along PS Exeter Westpoint is good

Comment

I expect it was 90 degress in the shade too, whilst it was raining and blowing a gale oop North! :-)

Comment

Working...
              X