Tents and camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tents and camping

I realise that I have ben missing out on some of the clubs further away events, and are now seriously considering buying some camping gear for next year.I need some advice, can anyone recommend a tent suitable for club events and possibly an extended holiday in scotland.I am a single person but don't think I can live with anything smaller than a 3 person tent. Under consideration at the momement are the Coleman Bi-space 300 and outwell arizona. At the age of 51 maybe I should forget about it.
    Any comments about your own experinces would also be welcome.

Re: Tents and camping

Peter,
    You are never too old to go camping. My parents are still camping at 65 years old.
    My advice to you would be to find a good compromise between weight, packed size and ease of assembly. If you purchase a 3 man tent the manufacturers tend to work on the theory that there will be at least 2 people around and therefore some tents can be tricky to put up on your own. The more you spend the better the tent. I recently purchased one from eBay for ?80 that looked great on paper but in fact was dissapointing with regards quality. Still does a good job though, just tricky to get the flysheet taught thats all.
    Hope this helps.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
      Hi Peter

Glad you have seen the light! I used to B&B but it got too expensive and I knew I was missing out on the fun-in the-field!

I am thinking of getting a slightly bigger tent. You should remember mine from Marlin events. Do you want to have mine at a small cost? It is OK other than a small repair to the flysheet where a flying marquee damaged it two/three years ago in Derbyshire! Oh, and one of the flysheet zips has come off it's teeth. I am too lazy to put it back on. The reason I want to change is because I got fed up with crouching out of the entrance. It has taken me 5 years to get fed up with that mind you. I also want one now that has a canopy I can sit under. I think mine is deemed to be a 4-man tent but I can't remember if it might be 6! Most likely it's 4 as I can't see 6 people lined up inside. It's one "room" plus a small "entrance". If you want a new purchase, my brother reckons Vango are a good make but I am currently looking on eBay at Peaktop tents that seem very good value.

Give me a call if you want to discuss. I'm sure I can dig out a picture with it in so you can remember it.

Comment

Peter Hi Danny Nelson here Please get that tent sorted and join us at Malvern ?5 for the weekend and free camping. This will test everything for you ready for next year. The new organiser seems switched on and it promises to be a good weekend, but if we can get enough of us we can make it enjoyable anyway .Look forward to seeing you at Donnington, Hope you can make both.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys and dolls. No thanks to your offer Sue. I have decided to give it a go next year, and have tracked down a supply of the outwell arizona tent, which was proving to be very elusive, and ordered one. Have also bought a parafin camping stove off E-Bay. Still lots to get but should get there by Easter next year!

Comment

Working...
          X