Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INSURANCE

Message originally posted by: ROBERTH
    HI,IS THEIR ANY BODY WHO KNOWS AN INSURANCE THAT WILL COVER ME FOR ONE DAY FOR MY SVA THANKS BOB

Re: INSURANCE

Hi Bob

I think Paul Carey will be able to advise you on this, I know he drove his to SVA. Last time I spoke to him he was intending on going to Donnington. I assume you are still going, I'll give you a ring in the week to find out which day so we can try to meet up.

John

Comment

Hi Bob,
      Yes you can drive your car to the SVA test.

You must have an appointment and insurance. I read somewhere that the police do not necessarily know that.

The Portsmouth DVLA like you to get an MOT drive it to them so they can tell you to get an SVA. When pressed they admit that an MOT is not required. When you get the SVA make an appointment with your local DVLA office. Some offices ask you to drive it to them or in some areas they will send the police round to check your car. They count up the bits from the donor and decide if it is an age related or a Q plate car. Once the car is registered the date of registration will be this year and strictly speaking you do not need an MOT for three years.

I got my insurance through A Flux using a chassis number not a registration number. They were reluctant to insure it without a registration number for more than a month. This can give you problems if you have a lot to fix and the DVLA cause you delays. The insurance cover was about ?250 for limited mileage ?3k, garaged and ***no cancellation***. So if don?t get it through SVA the insurance could lapse and you have to get a new one.

I do not know if you can get insurance for one day. I assume that you can but at what price? Please let us know if you can.

Fill her with petrol some time before you go so you can fix any leaks. The petrol gauge must show full for the test. I think this is from the days when they used to weigh the car. I know one person whose tank read full even when empty but that is not checked.

You must be certain that the brakes, steering, etc are all perfect. VOSA can refuse to let you drive it home if it is unsafe. Also be sure that the engine is set up fairly well. I made the mistake of not testing the engine enough and she totally lacked power and stalled every time I stopped. This severely blighted my first drive.

Good luck with the SVA. I hope to see you at Donnington on Saturday. I plan to be around the car at lunchtime.

Paul

Comment

Hello Robert. You could hire a trailer for ?25 which would be cheaper that a days insurance. Expect to fail on something silly, they love to put pressure on to come back another day, and the trailer is a good excuse to get them to have a retest that afternoon. They also like the extra ?50. Ensure you are ready to test on the hour asigned. I was sent back because I was 20 mins late( filling up with fuel.) Thety insist on a full tank for weight purposes. Give me a call oi738 860910 if you like. Jonathan

Comment

Working...
        X