Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN/Chassis/Frame number

Hi all

The DVLA have asked me to visually check the VIN/Chassis/Frame number on my Berli as a result of a discrepancy on a computerised MOT.

Where will I find the number?

Many Thanks

Richard

Re: VIN/Chassis/Frame number

Hi Richard,

My VIN plate is on the footwell vertical panel(under the pedal box) RHS. It is easily seen when the bonnet is opened. The plate is situated next to the Marlin manufacturer serial N?. The Marlin N? on my car is just a tiny (50mm x 12mm approx)stamped plate welded showing "B" followed by four numbers. This is not good enough for DVLA/VOSA, so in addition, I have a full brass plate showing the VIN.
    Most cars will be different as when they were made there was not such a rigid numbering system as today.
    I am on a "Q" plate. If the original donor number was used on your car, make sure that the V5 does not show the vehicle as a cortina (or Sierra) - it must show as a Marlin or modified.
    It would be easy to make up a plate for your car and rivet it in to position to appease the DVLA/VOSA SS.
    I seem to remember that some companies like Bygone or possibly Europa produce a more snazzy VIN plate.

Perhaps take advice from a club member who has just survived the SVA as to the exact form the plate should take.

Good luck,

Dane
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for that Dane

Regards

Richard

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
        We (the MOC) can provide a snazzy VIN plate through the Club. We don't stock them now but will put you onto the suplliers. Contact Liz Billings the Vice Chair for details.

My chassis number is in the same place as yours Dane.

Comment

Whatever no is on the logbook stamp on a strip and fix somewhere under the bonnet. I am assuming your logbook states Marlin? However I do know of several that do not and they are still managing to get through the M O T.

Comment

Thanks for that Danny.

My V5 says Marlin Berlinetta. The MOT certificate quotes the original order number from Marlin, so I guess there's a plate somewhere on the chassis with that number on but I can't find it!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Danny Nelson.
              The position of the Marlin factory no is as Dane has stated. It may be on either side, but if you cannot find it then it could be that it has been removed. I have known them to be removed in the past to help reg on the donor no plate, and a new no either the donor vin no or a made up one fixed. Some builders had a no that was special to them ie Wifes date of birth,and various other nos. At this stage to avoid any complications I would stamp whatever no my logbook states, and present my car for MOT with that no displayed in a prominent position under the bonnet.

Comment

The DVLA have just issued me with a new certificate with the Vin number shown in the logbook.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                X