Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Gearbox

Message originally posted by: Peter Nutter
    Just wondered if anyone could tell me if it is possible to take gearbox (Ford 2.0 pinto)out without removing engine? Just fancy a 5 speed box whilst I am doing everything else?

Re: Removing Gearbox

My experience is that it is a lot of fiddling about to grab the box on its own from below.

I have always remove the front cowl and then lifted the engine and gearbox out the front as one unit. three years ago I did it in an hour. Age has knackered my relevant flexible body parts and so now it would take me much longer!

Danny is the guru and will, hopefully, give his advice and put us both straight.

I hope to fit a five speed soon during a much needed engine rebuild.

Good luck.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Peter, you must let me know how you got on.
      I will be changing the engine and box soon, I believe the 5 speed is a little longer than the 4 speed so will have to re position hole for gear stick.
      also I am assuming the propshaft will have to be alterd.
      anybody else have any comments on this?.

Comment

Thanks, Danny suggested the same guess it's not quite as simple as drop prop and tilt engine?
        Peter

Comment

Jez box is only about 10mm longer I was hoping that the great hole that the guy I bought car from would be enough but will let you know?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Danny Nelson.
            I have always removed the front cowel, and the radiator, after removing the light bar of course! Then draw the engine forward, and when you have got this far it is as quick and easy to take engine and box out as a unit and then split. On early Berlinettas you may have to extend the two channels that act as a gearbox mount on later ones they are usually long enough, but you may have a little bit of fabricating to do. The hole where the gearleaver protrudes needs to be in a different position. I cut a two hundred long millimeter section of the top of the tunnel with the existing hole to the front in it. I replaced this with a two hundred mill blank plate then cut the new hole in it at the new position. This gives a removabale plate that lets you have access from the top should you ever need it.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Peter Nutter
              Hey gearbox is in and yes Danny you were right engine out job.. Biggest problem was the 2 bar for gearbox mounting were to long and I had to cut about 40mm offand redrill new mounting holes. Speedo cable needs to be fitted befoe final push back into place (hope it still works it looks a bit tight). However gearstick hole is ok and whats more propshaft fits.
              Jez all I can say is don't plan to be done in a day?
              Also shows how much thought goes into original build putting long bolts in from top for gearbox mounting, great before floor is fitted, but try to get them out after?
              Anyway job done, thanks for all the advice......

Comment

As you now know what you are doing, fancy doing mine peter????????

Comment

Working...
                X