What are cabrio owners doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are cabrio owners doing?

There has not been a posting from a cabrio owner for weeks - where have you all gone?

I've spent the last few MONTHS cutting the transmission tunnel out of mine to create a new much thinner on, and new recessed floor pans to set the seats down lower, to allow wider seats, more comfortable Audi A4 seats.
    All has gone well so far, albeit that it has taken sooooooooooo long! The seats fit but the final test will come when I fit the propshaft, and find out how much it moves off it's centre line. Fingers crossed.

Hope all is well with all the other remining builders.

PS. Does anyone know how many Cabrios are still to be completed?

Mike

Re: What are cabrio owners doing?

I'm driving mine!! Trip to Rutland water yesterday[top down of course] to watch our son compete in Firefly dinghy event with our 8 year old grandaughter as crew.Hope it all works out ok and we get a few more good driving days before winter sets in.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Pleased to hear that you're keeping up the good work and that I'm not the only 'sad' person spending most of his weekends working in a cold garage!!

Work on my Cabrio is progressing well. The engine is now well and truly in and I've nearly finished upgrading/overhauling the brakes (I've changed the back axle for a 7.5 inch disc brake item and have changed the front to the XR4i 260mm discs/calipers).

I've also made a start on the vehicle and engine wiring (gulp!).

For info, I've put some photos of the build so far on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
        Hi Simon, nice garage! Looks better than my kitchen! Oh, and the build is looking good too! Looking forward to seeing you both on the road. Keep up that motivation :-)

Comment

With a garage like that I'd definately end up sleeping out there!!!

Comment

That is his kitchen: he just has a very understanding wife!

MFI want to know if they can sponsor it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My wife is very understanding - but not quite that much!!!

Thinking about Alan's idea - I wonder if MFI will throw in a bed as part of the sponsorship deal...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                In my case it would have to be a flat bed!

Comment

Well Karen and I were planning to take Margo (photo Attached) to Italy in October, but a pourous cylinder head meant my rebuilt engine was mixing up her fluids. Not nice. So off we set for a wonderful 3 week trip in the big car down to Tuscany(Photo2) via Swizterland and back via Austria (and the Trimelsjoch Pass, 2509m high and VERY windy and remote(3).(Felt better with roof and Vorsprung durch technik...o ye of little faith!!)
                  Looking forward to a replacement head for margo being opened up, along with fast road cams from Kent, and we plan to be out and about in the spring.( theres now snow on the hills) Happy tinkering..Jonathan

Comment

Lovely picture. Just needs a Marlin in it and it would do for next years calendar. By the way I could do with some snow scenes as well

Comment

Don't know about anybody else but its time for me and my Cario to hybernate!

Comment

Not yet Peter,Sally and I had a great day yesterday at a time check for the Lands End to John O Groats 'Le Jog'. Saw huge variety of cars from 1930 Alvis, SS100 through to mini Coopers flying into the pub for signing off.Sampled the local brew and a pie and met some interesting characters one of whom owned not one but 3 Rolls Royce Ghosts!! We got home through Exmoor with the sun dipping behind us and only one sharp shower which we drove through at speed! 200 mile round and the cars a dream to drive.
                        Long may the Autumn continue!!!
                        All the best

Comment

Mike what are your thoughts on diff ratios?

Comment

Hi Danny
                            I've cpome to the conclusion that I would like to be able to run a 3.14 diff: I want a slow reving tourer. After all you don't build a car like the cabrio with the aerodynamics of a brick if speed is all that you want.

However i suspect I may have to settle for a 3.38 diff as yhe 3.14 is as rare as hens'mteeth.
                            Does anyone know where there is one avaiable?
                            Danny, do you still have the BMW Cabrio? - if you do what diff does it have in it? Chris Cunliffe has recently changed his from 3.62 to 3.38, and says his could probably benefit from a 3.14. With so much torque the BMW 2.5ltr would easily pull a lower ratio diff, and give effortless cruising.
                            All this is supposition though. You have driven the car I want to build, so what are your thoughts?

Best regards
                            Mike

Comment

Mine is 3.38 and I want to go lower. I had an intresting conversation with Mark Matthews at Exeter. Apparently there is a Company putting diffs together with ratios that Ford never did 3.1 3.2 If I get the information I will forward it. Also at Exeter Dave Kitson had the first all BMW mk 3 cabrio running the BMW back end etc etc. It is difficult with a diff. You do not know untill you put it in and try the thing and then you could decide that you were better off with the devil you know. Peter Morris done an article in pitstop about changing his diff and the last time I was speaking to him he was going to rebuild his original one and put it back in. It would be a lot easier to use the BMW back end, perhaps at your stage it may be an option? Regards Danny

Comment

Working...
                              X