Changing from automatic to manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from automatic to manual

Can anybody please tell me what is involved in changing the gearbox on a Pinto engined car from an automatic 'box to a manual one. I would be interested in knowing what parts would be required apart from the new 'box - type 9 I presume or would the 75 work.
    Thanks
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Changing from automatic to manual

Hi Jon, forget the mt75 box of course you can use it but by the time you purchase an after market bell housing etc etc . Type 9 standard bell housing flywheel clutch assembly, and as I remember you need to change the spigot bearing. I am not certain about the length of the prop shaft. Clutch pedal, alter pedal box, and clutch cable. John Mulvaney is going the opposite way with his cabrio, so not only would he have all the bits you need, but he would be able to confirm propshaft length.

Comment

Greetings, Jon! As Danny has said I'm currently preparing to remove a 1.6 + manual box Pinto in a low milage Cabrio to install a 2.0 + automatic box Pinto currently powering a F reg. Granada! I'm interested in transmission tunnel dimensions and clearances etc. Communication may well be of mutual benefit!

Comment

Hi John,
        I am afraid I am not an owner of a Cabrio but a roadster. My current engine is a Fiat twin cam but it is suffering a bit so I was considering my options. I have been offered a 2.0 pinto injection you see but it has an auto box hence the original question.
        Coincidently, my father is looking at buying a Cabrio but it currently has an auto box fitted but he wants a manual. The question was also to help in his case. If he buys it then I will be able to help. He would be interested in buying all the bits needed from you.
        Sorry I can't help further.
        Jon
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

No worries, Jon! I was already resigned to having to do a fair bit of crawling about under cars with a tape measure - I guess I will not really appreciate the task ahead until both power units are sitting side by side on the garage floor! Engine-wise doesn't look too bad - my head overruled my heart in dictating a Pinto-to-Pinto swap (could have been very different if I didn't already own a V8 Cabrio!)the pick-up points for cables and plumbing are in similar places etc. I now have a bigger rad, but will need to mod. the air intake/filter and install a fuel return line (I'm going carb to efi) Transmission tunnel clearance and g'box speedo output (mechanical going to electronic) still need thinking through! The Granada is still on the road and being able to keep it fit and give it a run prolongs having to get on with the job, but some day soon.....
          Regards, John

Comment

Working...
          X