Punching vents in aluminium sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching vents in aluminium sheet

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can punch a row of small vent holes in a thin sheet of aluminium - similar to those in the bonnet sides of a Roadster but much smaller e.g. 3" long by about 1/2". I don't have a fly press but I do have a large engineering vice

Re: Punching vents in aluminium sheet

Hi Keith,
    Another idea may be to cut a neat rectangle out of the panel in question and then bond, rivet or screw in one of the ready made panels from Car Builder Solutions. They start at around ?15. Have a look at their web site.

Happy new year!
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sorry Keith I forgot to enter the web site!
      It is:
      www.nfauto.co.uk

Good luck.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Keith
        Have a look at RS Components web site-Mechanical-Hand Tools-metal forming equipment you may find what you are looking for.Lots of punches etc in various sizes-Good luck and Happy New Year

Comment

Thanks guys. Car Builder Solutions is an interesting site and I've bookmarked it for the future. I am interested in the idea of a preformed panel that I can bolt on to my little project but sadly, their stuff is all full size. The search goes on!

Comment

How it was done with the JC Midge was, you machine or carve a male and female block of the required profile or purchased their blocks.Then with the ally sheet laid on a plank or board you use a very sharp wide wood chisel to cut the slots first. Then the tricky bit is to clamp the female block in position of the first louvre and with a mallet dress the male block down onto the metal driving it into the female block,before moving on to the next one. I only ever did this as an experiment but you need quite soft ally sheet or you could try the tricky job of annealing it. Best of British
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stuart Benson
              another solution is to use a bolster chisel for this. sharpen the edge of the chisel to a fine point and place a block of wood underneath it. it is best to practice on a test piece first, but it is a budget alternative that works
              nb
              this was done punching through zintec to form a slot when cladding the floorplan of a berlinetta, it was a bit ragged, but i am heavy handed

worth a try!

Comment

Working...
              X