LED rear lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED rear lights

Having seen the LED rear lights post https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...ED-Rear-Lights and never being happy with the gastly rubberlite ones on my cabrio
    IMG_1195.JPG
    I decided it was time to upgrade, so I went and bought a pair. They arrived quickly, and the first step was to decide if they should be surface mounted or recessed. Not sure how to go I sprayed the bodies to match the Marlin. I had chosen Rover BRG deliberately to hope that I didn't have any colour match problems.
    IMG_1192.JPG
    After I removed the old lights and carefully measured the area I decided I could go for recessing the lights, so I made some retaining brackets to hold the lights in place
    IMG_1196.JPG
    and carefully cut a hole.
    I was then faced with the issue that with the LED indicators the old fashioned timer didn't work as the lights were not drawing enough current. I suppose I should have bought a new relay but by chance I had a couple of 5.6ohm 50watt resistors, so I thought I would connect them across the indicator LED. Also with the indicator relay hidden under the dash somewhere I thought this might be the easy option.
    IMG_1197.JPG
    So this is the finished result.
    IMG_1198.JPG

Re: LED rear lights

Mine are not as shapely but they do the job.

I went for a new Relay with a buzzer inbuilt as I am forever leaving the indicator on.

20190530_124801.jpg

Adrian

Comment

So this is the finished result.
      IMG_1198.JPG
      They do look nice.

Comment

Very good match for size

Comment

They do look good, very tempted to do the same the only thing putting me of is how long the led lights will last and if they do break getting a replacement unit I presume they are sealed units and you can not change the led bulbs?

Comment

Yes, sealed units, if they break the only solutions is complete replacement. But LEDS seem very reliable.

Comment

Just wondering. My indicators are the outer lights in my module with the stop/tail inboard. Are mine incorrect ??
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

With respect to Chris and his LED conversion the rear indicator should be visible through a 80º outward angle which I think will be difficult to achieve
                with the light unit mounted with the indicator section inner most.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

As Ben says I would expect the indicator light to be on the outside. Easy enough to swap left and right units so the cable outlet stays in the same relative position to the hole in the bodywork and the bolt holes will still line up too. Peter.

Comment

It went through IVA with the lights that way round, as in my first photo.

The recessed hole is symetrical so I only need to remove the lights and rotate them 180 degrees.
                    But the visibilty angle for both indicators and rear lights is 80 degrees (see that I found on internet http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...php?tid=207006 ) so swapping the lights over will not solve the problem. I'll leave it as it is as the indicator repeater lamps are visible at 80 degrees, and there are no sidelight repeaters.

Comment

Ill stand corrected.

Its just that they are normally(if a Marlin can be normal) fitted indicator outwards.

Must admit the installation does look neat.
                      Last edited by b_caswell; 08-06-19, 01:24 PM.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Have fun reading through the regs.

start here
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Checked the visibilty angles using a protractor. Both indicator and tail can be seen at 80deg from the centreline.
                          Steve: The regs made a bit of "light" reading.

Comment

Where did you get the new led units from Chris? Do you have a link to the supplier?
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Andy,
                              Got them from Amazon https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X