Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Screen Installation

Hi All

Having now completed most to the rewire on my Roadster thankfully its time to move onto something else - fitting my new Windscreen. After bonding in the original screen with Sikaflex as per the Marlin Build Instructions I ended up removing it in 3 Million pieces (yes I had to smash it out, I tried all sorts to cut it out but after 3 solid days and plenty of hand injuries I gave up and resorted to violence) So after that episode I just had to come up with something different this time. Over several months searching the Web I couldn't find any preformed suitable seal and as for trying to get samples or purchase small quantities - forget it.

So what I came up with was to use 6mm Medium Density Sponge Cord that was readily available at a local supplier, I started by sticking 3 mm self adhesive medium density sponge in several positions in the bottom of the screen groove. I then placed the screen in position in the frame and held it in position with a ratchet rope, working alone it was a bit difficult but I got there eventually. Then using a few plastic wedges to centralise the screen in the frame I then forced the sponge cord into the gaps on both sides of the screen using a plastic wedge to force the sponge in. Because the sponge went well in I repeated to exercise with a second round of sponge. Removing the ratchet rope found the screen to be nice a secure in the frame. I used "P" Section sponge in the base of the screen frame clamp.

Whether this would be a water tight seal or not I don't know? However my intention has always been to use a single bead of black frame sealant for the watertight seal so that if I have to remove the screen again it will mean just cutting through a single bead of sealer.

Been installing the wiper motor and wheel boxes today so I now hope that the rebuild will pick up a bit of pace, but my Cabrio tank needs to come out to sort out the non functioning fuel gauge sender, I mitigate against having no fuel gauge at the moment by running around with a full 10Ltr fuel can in readiness, but I'm not to happy about it so that so that job is really calling.

Regards to All

Mick
    Clamp Rail and Wipers Installed.jpgComing together at last.jpg
    Last edited by marlinmick; 12-05-21, 08:55 PM. Reason: Include missing pictures.

Re: Roadster Screen Installation

Mick
    I know you don't have an opening boot but cannot access be gained without dropping tank [is boot area closed off?]
    I have a functioning sender of the arm type if you want it.
    Regards
    Alan

Comment

When I was a student many years ago my Mini stopped showing the fuel level. Being hard up I dropped a golf ball in the tank. When you can hear it rolling around it is time for more fuel.

Comment

Are you sure that you hadn't put that golf ball in the sump? as I recall as a student hearing a similar noise from one of my cars

Comment

Hi Alan

From what I can see the sender is impossible to access in situ but when the time comes to do it I give it a good try first without dropping the tank. Thank uou for the sender I let you know how I get on.

Regards

Mick.

Comment

You're welcome Mick. It was sitting on a shelf doing nothing and I know it is for a good cause!

Comment

Could you let me know where you obtained your new screen, and is it marked with the required marking for the IVA. Plus does sponge cord have a trade name, thought I might get it from B & Q etc. Thanks Stuart

Comment

Hi Stuart

I purchased my Toughened Laminated Screen from Alvaston Glass in Derby (01332 293123) made to my supplied template taken from my screen frame. Please Note - they can't supply glass for vehicle windscreens unless the vehicle DOES NOT require an MOT. They supplied my screen without a kite mark with a slight surcharge because my original screen supplied by Marlin was not kite marked and my Roadster was registered pre IVA requirements. Incidentally Adam at Alvaston Glass cut and polished the edges of my screen on a CNC Machine so he now has a program for cutting out Roadster screens, I know this because I asked about cutting me a spare from the template and he said there's no need for the template now because he has it on a CNC Program. So if your car meets the above criteria then make sure the speak to Adam (he is the Owner of AG anyway and mention my name Mr Clamp) Mine was about £80.00p if I remember right. Another thing to bare in mind is that not all Roadster Screen Frames are the same according to some MOC Posts?

I spotted the Medium Density Sponge Cord on the internet but I found a local supplier who supply all sorts of seals, profiled rubber mouldings and gaskets - [email protected] - 01332 360701 - but beware of they have a £20.00p minimum order policy.

Hope the above information helps.

Kind Regards

Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinmick View Post
                  Hi Stuart

I purchased my Toughened Laminated Screen from Alvaston Glass in Derby (01332 293123) made to my supplied template taken from my screen frame. Please Note - they can't supply glass for vehicle windscreens unless the vehicle DOES NOT require an MOT. They supplied my screen without a kite mark with a slight surcharge because my original screen supplied by Marlin was not kite marked and my Roadster was registered pre IVA requirements. Incidentally Adam at Alvaston Glass cut and polished the edges of my screen on a CNC Machine so he now has a program for cutting out Roadster screens, I know this because I asked about cutting me a spare from the template and he said there's no need for the template now because he has it on a CNC Program. So if your car meets the above criteria then make sure the speak to Adam (he is the Owner of AG anyway and mention my name Mr Clamp) Mine was about £80.00p if I remember right. Another thing to bare in mind is that not all Roadster Screen Frames are the same according to some MOC Posts?

I spotted the Medium Density Sponge Cord on the internet but I found a local supplier who supply all sorts of seals, profiled rubber mouldings and gaskets - [email protected] - 01332 360701 - but beware of they have a £20.00p minimum order policy.

Hope the above information helps.

Kind Regards

Mick.

Point note about copying the screen the roadster has at least 3 versions not sure what the difference is however so best to go from a template that fits your own car.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                  X