Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member - already asking stupid questions re seats :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - already asking stupid questions re seats :)

Hi there, I am new to this forum having just bought an early Marlin based on a 77 Marina. it needs a bit of a tidy but as it is going to be used in Classic trials its a perfect 'project' (just keep telling myself that lol.

anyway already i need some help. when i bought the car it had horrible, ridiculously tight bucket seats in, so after some research i bought a pair of Corbeau SC recliners - the narrow ones. however they are not narrow enough and will not fit by about an inch i reckon. They are great seats and it seems very popular in Marlins so why do they not fit? can i narrow the prop tunnel?

any advice gratefully received

Don

Re: New member - already asking stupid questions re seats

Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum, Here's a link to a thread discussion from last year where on MOC has put some Audi A4 S-line seats in his car. Bear in mind his car is a Cabrio therefore its highly likely the internal dimensions will be different.

I'm currently investigating new seats for my Cabrio and when I looked at the Corbeau SC recliners I thought they would fit the Cabrio OK.

Regards

Wigs
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

These could be a starting point.

MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yes, I too looked at Intatrim however they only seem to sell fixed back and I wanted adjustable. Hence still looking.
        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

Probably late with this but mine was bought with MX5 seats fitted. Not being the thinnest person in the world, they do a good job, and are adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
            Probably late with this but mine was bought with MX5 seats fitted. Not being the thinnest person in the world, they do a good job, and are adjustable.
            MX5 seats in a Roadster, that would be new!
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Now thats interesting. Is it easy to see how much has been changed to achieve this? I would expect either:
              a. The transmission tunnel has been slimmed down
              b. The seats have been made narrower

Neil (aka Wigs)

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                MX5 seats in a Roadster, that would be new!
                Would they not fit? They are adjustable and come with headrests. No they are not in a Roadster but a sportster.

Comment

Nice but very expensive when you can pick up a pair of leather bvuckets for about $50 at a wreckers yard .I just picked up a pair of leather seats from a PT cruzer rag top to put in my Suzuki samuri 4x4 They even came with heat for $60 .
                  Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  These could be a starting point.

http://www.intatrim.co.uk/saturn.html

Comment

Michael47 - I think you'll find that just about any production seat is too wide for the Roadster so you would need to factor in the cost of cutting them down to a suitable size and then re-upholstering, which would probably make them as expensive, or more, than the Saturns.

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
                      Nice but very expensive when you can pick up a pair of leather bvuckets for about $50 at a wreckers yard .I just picked up a pair of leather seats from a PT cruzer rag top to put in my Suzuki samuri 4x4 They even came with heat for $60 .
                      Nice idea. Discussed at length on the forum, but given the space available in a Marina based Roadster, the choices of mass production car seats is negative, only custom seats will fit.

This debate is as old as the Roadster design itself.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

good second hand seats do come up occasionally and those from some severn-type cars may fit. I think iirc the width is around 17"?

Comment

Mine are from a Westfield. Got them on an offer at Exeter show some years back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
                            good second hand seats do come up occasionally and those from some severn-type cars may fit. I think iirc the width is around 17"?
                            Correct, I measured mine at 42 cm which equates to 16.5".... ish

Comment

Might be worth looking at rear or 3rd row 'boot' seats from an mph or similar, our Touran has three individual seats across the back, similarly these boot seats from a volvo could be promising. eBay item no. 322965575373

Comment

Working...
                              X