Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Flock-off, Alan. :-)

Hi Jon. Cheers - I'll investigate.

Hi Ben. Thanks!

Dane, on second thoughts, the laminate is likely to be MDF-backed which COULD be the waterproofed type, but might not! As you say, waterproofing the back would be wise.

Sue, trust me, I've been up 'n' down the aisles of more DIY stores than you could shake a donkey's tail at (mixed metaphors, probably), and have seen materials - such as vinyl flooring - that could do the job. Just lacking the style of grain I was looking for :-(

The American co. has replied to my further email regarding the quality of their stick-on film. They say the print quality is good, but it would only look like 'real' wood if coated with lacquer (they suggest epoxy). Fair enough - I'd have to do that with veneer, etc anyway.

Now to follow your new leads... Cheers.

Comment

Donnie,
      Have you looked at the Folia tec stick on stuff that the tuning boys use on their Saxo's. Halfords do it. So do Demon Tweeks, Europa etc.... Would like real enough if you lacquered it with the epoxy stuff that Europa sell.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Cheers, Jon. Thanks to the leads above; I now realise that what I'm looking for DOES exist in this country!

Only problem (c'mon - you didn't expect this to be easy, did you...) is that the sheet sizes are surprisingly small (typically 500mm x 400mm) so a couple would be needed to butted to cover the dash panel - something I'm trying to avoid. I guess there isn't much call for full-width dash panels other than in the vintage and kit car industries!

The American co. makes an 8' x 18" roll for around $20 - looks like it's going to be worthwhile shipping it from there

Still checking out your - and Alan's - other suggestions.

Many, many thanks.

Comment

Donnie,
          Try these guys.
          http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/shfx_sample.htm
          I spoke to them some time ago regard their chrome stuff for my windscreen surround. They have a few uk outlets I think.
          Hope this helps.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Cheers again, Jon.

Fascinating stuff - wow, some of these paint effects are incredible! Tarnished copper dashboard - hmmm. Did you use their chrome finish?

I've emailed them re. UK stockists.

Thanks, Donnie.

Comment

Update:

I have two basic choices, it seems; I can now get a large (10'x4'!)sheet of Formica for around ?80 delivered - enough for both my kits cars and some... You might think 'yuck!', but some of the finishes are actually very authentic-looking, and it would certainly be durable!

Or, have the wood-effect roll sent over from the States (yes, postage is twice that of the item itself.)

First, I'm having one last go at staining my Birds-eye Maple, but, if that fails, will be going for one of the above I guess...

It's very frustrating; I'm itching to get the dash completed - I've just had my clock dials printed out properly for the first time and I'm pretty pleased with the result - they will be quite unique clocks!

Comment

Donnie, If it is genuine veneer you are after try this place. They seem to supply sheets (leafs they calle them!) of varios burrs - prices not too bad.
                If you want to veneer your own base board this site could provide your answer!

http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/veneers.asp

Good luck mate.
                Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Ooops, sorry about the speeling - Chilean throwing red generated human system error. Recurrent sadly.
                  Bost weshis
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

HA HA! Cheers, Dane.

I was always planning (well, to start with...) to use real veneer having come across Eucalyptus Burr on Ebay which looked stunning and came in a large enough sheet to cover the dash in one piece. My shallow pockets - and Scottish head - led me to buy a couple of sheets of Birds-Eye Maple instead as it was going for silly money - 99p a sheet! Then my troubles began... (I won't bore you with the details, but it involved wrinkling, spitting, shrinking, expanding... and awful staining results).

I'm now more inclined to go the 'synthetic' route! I will certainly check out your suggestion, but want to avoid having to butt pieces together, so will require a 1m long piece to start with - usually not cheap, if barely available at all in some woods.

Ta, Donnie.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
                      I went the veneer route, Walnut on the front and a "balance veneer on the back. 12 coats of yacht varnish cut back at the end with wet and dry. Used a vacuum bag press to do the veneering and cascamite for the glue. Body of dash is half decent ply.

Comment

Hi Don.

Sounds good. I read about the 'multi coats of varnish followed by cutting and polishing' method in Haynes' Kit Car Build book. I was planning to do that, should I ever have gotten to that stage..

I don't have access to a vacuum bag, so laid the veneer and ply out on a dead flat surface (after PVA-ing), and then lowered the Berli on top! Never underestimate the power of expanding timber - despite the weight (ok, only lowering one of the front wheels to start with), the veneer wrinkled with the moisture in the PVA.

2nd attempt: I thought, being clever you see, I'd get all its expansion out of the way first, so wiped a (new) piece of veneer with a damp cloth first. Then repeated the process... This time, the veneer split as it SHRANK

After finally getting the veneer perfectly flat - by lowering the WHOLE of the Berli on top (by the front cross-memeber!), I then couldn't get the shade I wanted using stains.

So, I'm DEFINITELY going the synthetic route (especially as I have 4, possibly 6, further panels to do - gear surround, door trims, etc).

Having found the ideal stuff, I've just found out it'll cost $70 to get it sent from the States...

So, now it's FURTHER compromise time; I'm likely going for a less desirable, but more attainable, wood-effect sheet closer to home.

Honestly, between this and J-trim...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                          Hi Donnie

I know this may sound trite and I hope you won't take offence, I'll say it anyway - few will actually appreciate all the work you have put in to make the car look just right, except you. They will admire your handiwork, sure, but you sound like a guy who is very particular about your work and whatever you end up with is likely to look exquisite to anyone looking. I hope you won't feel a niggle each time you look at the less desirable but more attainable, wood-effect sheet and wish you'd persevered with the real thing 'cos life's too darned short! Oh, and I'm only jealous 'cos my dash is black vinyl with some foam behind it......I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product - Concourse beckons you to Stoneleigh!

Comment

Hi Sue, I appreciate your sentiments totally - and I do also agree with them!

I certainly don't wish to compromise the appearance of the dash to any extent, as I am putting a fair bit of work into all of it (modifying the clocks, bespoke dials, new switches, rebuilding the indicator stalk, etc), but it has occurred to me that it actually doesn't matter too much whether it's real wood behind there!

I also need a material that is pretty flexible for some of the things I'm planning (and the Birds-Eye Maple certainly wasn't - <<crack>&gt

And I do need, quite simply, to justify the cost of the project to myself; I musn't lose track of the fact that it is ultimately a hobby, and 'er indoors has been VERY tolerant of me re-discovering my old life (and there is another kit outside, under wraps...), and the 2 l'il kids need shoes - no, not NEW shoes, just shoes...

Thanks for your thoughts, Sue.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                              Ha ha! Good luck with it all anyway. Once the webmaster has fixed a Forum problem of not being able to post photos I'll show you my vinyl flooring!

Comment

Whats wrong with varnished ply wood?
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X