Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Nothing at all for you - but WE have a better quality of Berlinetta...

(Badly need a 'smilley' here, with a tongue sticking out...)

Comment

Crikey, I'd better only go out in the dark! My dash is much like Sue's!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
        Amongst the other materials that I consedered fro my dash were formica, already mentioned and corian the acrylicplus stonedust composite used for up market kitchens (granite dash anyone?) The other material I seriously considered was this stuff: http://www.permalidehoplast.co.uk/permali.html. Again the trouble was finding a supplier.

After I had made my dash, my friend geoff in sheffield said that they used it as indestructible "Pig board" down at the farm. doh! See http://www.laver.co.uk/index.asp

Hope that helps.

Comment

;-Q
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

What did you end up using, Don?!

As for your other suggestions, can you imagine cutting instrument holes out of Corian...!

Actually, the other two companies you mention seem to make promising materials.

As it happens, I think I might have just found EXACTLY what I've been looking for; a convincing burlwood flexible sheet which, when given a few coats of lacquer/varnish, should be pretty convincing. It's been ordered, it's on it's way, and.... I'll report when I get it!

Comment

Actually Corian is quite easy to work, it can be milled, sawn and routed, it does tend to blunten the tools a bit, tungsten tips are best.

Comment

What is the 'indestructible pig-board' you ended up using? What finish does it have?

I'm hoping my stuff will turn up this morning...

Comment

The Indestructible pig board is "Permali" or something like it, it's plywood where all the empty air spaces inside have been filled with thermosetting resin under pressure, so the end effect is something that looks a bit like wood but is heavier stronger and totally weatherproof. It was originally developed for spitfire propellers.

I couldn't find a retail supplier at the time so gave up on it. We have a very small amount at school and it can be polished to a high shine.

I used ply in the end with proper veneer but then I have a friend who knows how to do it properly.

Comment

Honestly now, you only used that stuff so's you could tell peeps that your car uses the same materials as Supermarine Spitfires? Sounds impressive!

I'll stick with exterior ply...

The wood-effect film came today - very pleased with it; an effective looking print. I've already experimented with different varnishes/lacquers: polyurethane varnish seems to adhere really well, and doesn't react - promising!

Comment

The burlwood self-adhesive vinyl I got was from a company called vinyldepot-retail on Ebay (item 190081341715) at a buy-it-now of ?3.49. At that price, it hits ALL the right spots...

Comment

You will need something to trim the bottom edge of the dash so that is rounded and safe. You could lip it with solid wood, alternatively you used to be able to buy and aluminium extrusion. It was sort of "L" shaped with a rounded end. I believe it was called "hockey-stick trim"

Comment

Hmm. This 'hockey-stick' trim sounds interesting; I'll ask that other eejit about it.

I was actually intending to use a 60mm wide strip of hardboard (wide enough to hide the back of the dash when the doors are opened), gently (after damping) teasing it into following the profile of the dash bottom, with another 10mm wide strip glued onto it on the front inside dash side so it lips over the dash slightly. Sand to shape, cover with thin foam and finish in your choice of vinyl...

Originally, the 'J'-trim was only needed for the inside of the steering column cutout, and around a gear stick panel.

However, one kind supplier sent me over 2 metres of sample - really good quality stuff; aluminium centre - tho' horrible colour!) which wasn't flexible enough to go round the intended bits - but will do the lower dash nicely if I feel like saving a bit of hassle!

Getting there - slowly.

Comment

Although the feeling of deja-vu is almost hurting how about thin,deep, "U" section rubber screen surround with one side carefully stripped = very flexible,black, hockey stick trim
                            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

That's a good idea, Dane.

I've been looking at a plastic 'U' channel that's sitiing in my garage, wondering if I could make a jig (not then Scottish kind, for heaven's sakes) that would allow me to neatly do what you are suggesting.

What fun...

Comment

Do you want a matching set of mugs?
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X