Fibreglass repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibreglass repairs

With an engine change planned shortly, I thought it would be a good time to whip the nearside wing off and deal with the star-crazing in the paint/gelcoat before a respray. I'm not looking for a concours finish but I assume that the job will still be a bit more involved than simply applying filler and rubbing down?

Anyone got advice as to how to go about this or can point me in the direction of a useful guide book? (I assume there's no point in asking whether anyone has a spare nearside wing/running board in good condition?)

Thanks. Bruce

Re: Fibreglass repairs

Bruce
    What you need is gelcoat filler available from boat/dinghy chandlers-instructions for use come with pack,but basically you remove star crazing in the affected area of the gel coat and fill with aforementioned.

Comment

As always, thanks for the advice, Alan. (Good to hear from you in the land of Oz!)

Comment

I have a pair of inner & wings for a short wheelbase + the peice that covers the top suspention mount. Only problem i am near plymouth

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bruce
          Dave - I'm going to try the gelcoat filler repair first and see how it comes out. But thanks for letting me know.

Comment

this is pretty amazing stuff that i know a few owners have used with success
            Capt. (Captain) Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure Hairline Crack Sealer.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bruce
              Jon - sounds good stuff. i just don't know that i've got the bottle to go in to a shop and ask for it!!

Comment

You can buy it diredt from Captian tolley himself

www.captaintolley.com/

Derek

Comment

And it comes in a plain brown bag...

It's available on Ebay from a number of peeps for around ?6.00 including postage - don't know how that compares? Search for 'crack cure'

Comment

Working...
                  X