Towing a Roadster using an A-Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a Roadster using an A-Frame

I am considering towing a Marina based Roadster behind a motorhome using an A-Frame. Can anyone give me any advice about this - for example the best place to attach the A-Frame on the Roadster?

Thanks
    Robin

Re: Towing a Roadster using an A-Frame

You will need a brake system for the A bar set up, as the max weight for an unbraked trailer is 50% of tow vehicle upto the Max of 750kg. But your Marlin has brakes so they must work even when its on tow. Not sure how the A bar would be fitted and some cars are a bit slow on self centre how would this affect the following on of the trailer.?
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I was hoping to get away without using a braked A frame. The motorhome ways 3.5 tonnes and a Roadster must be less than 750kgs? I was thinking that the A frame might be able to be fixed to the front bumper. They seem to use a chain and strap arrangement that either is located on a chassis member or the front suspension. Bit worried about the self centering though - is this usually a problem on Marina based Marlins?

Comment

Based on members comments both here on the forum and in 'Pitstop' self centering does seem to be a problem on Marina based cars,on my roadster it was virtually non existent, yet I towed it's donor with an A frame attached to suspension arms with no problems!

Comment

I personally have towed many, many, Marlins with my A frame. On a roadster like you think, I attach to the front round tube bar. On Berlinettas or Cabrios I attach to the bottom suspension arms. I have towed hundreds of miles. The understanding I have about brakes is that the car must not exceed 750kgs, if it is it must be broken down! to comply without brakes. My A frame is unbraked and is an adjustable type as was used by AA, RAC . How broken down the car is is of course up to you. As far as the roadster goes I have seen several with two tabs welded one each end of the bar each with a hole drilled this is to locate a small home made A frame. Triumph, and Marina based roadsters tow extremely well, as do Cabrios. The Berlinetta can be different depending on neg camber, if the wheels are upright it is fine, but with any neg camber it can misbehave at low speeds on turns. I would like to add that all the above is of course my own personal opinion

Comment

Message originally posted by: Keith Howell
            For what it's worth, I weighed my Roadster (Sierra based)at the municipal weighbridge and it came in at 850kgs. Secondly, if for any reason you end up with a medical restricted license you will be limited to a max. 750 kg tow weight

Comment

The grey area is the fact that the Marlin would become the trailer. It has brakes fitted to both axles. SO THEY MUST BE IN A GOOD WORKING STATE AND FUNCTION ON THE OVER RUN WHEN THE TOWING VEHICLE SLOWS OR BRAKES

Comment

Have towed for more years than I can count with and without frames and the brakedown A frame will do the job but is not recommended for this purpose and has a 50mph limit. The correct equipment for the job is a spectacle frame which keeps the front wheels of the road and has brakes. One thing to think about is if the car has a mileage limited insurance and you do 1000 miles to the continent this is counted as driving mileage unless your car is fwd!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
                  Not if the speedo cable should accidentally become disconnected.

Comment

My thoughts exactly Don, and of course these things do happen often!

Comment

Hello all

Thanks for the various replies and opinions. Seems like an A-frame is technically possible and possibly even legal for towing a Roadster behind my 3.5 ton motorhome (glorified camper van really!)

Robin

Comment

Another point that has cropped up is technically the trailer should have auto reverse brakes, although no one has been done for this(as far as the Caravan and camping club know about.)

Comment

Try this - http://www.protowframes.co.uk/ - I did quite a lot of research on A-frames a couple of years ago and these ones look "the biz". The main problem was that the drawbar which fixes to the towed car is a fixed width and it's a really awkward fit to the front cross-member of a roadster. In the end I went for a trailer instead (much better if you've wrecked the front suspension on a trial) but I still think the PRO-Tow frame has a lot going for it. Andrew

Comment

Working...
                          X