Starter motors Marina 1.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motors Marina 1.8

my starter motor is playing up a little and i am looking for a spare as a back up. The manual says that the marina 1.8 was fitted with two types of pre engaged types the Lucas 2M 100 or the M35J. without taking my motor off i can not tell what type mine is .
    Does anyone know what the difference is and would either type fit as from the diagrams they both appear the same externally.

Re: Starter motors Marina 1.8

Message originally posted by: Don
    No they look totally different.The pre engage starter motor has a huge solenoid on top which engages the pinion before the contacts close and the motor start turning. The pre engage type does not need a separate starter solenoid.

The ordinary inertial starter motor is cylindrical, with no protrusions and needs as separate starter solenoid.

Comment

Mike
      I'm not absolutely sure on this one but I beleive that the solenoid on the M35J sits very close to the main body of the starter,whereas with the 2M100 there is a very definite gap between the solenoid and body.If you are replacing either one should do the job as long as it has the correct bolt orientation.

Comment

Mike,
        I have one if you want it. I have a new water pump, fuel pump and rocker gaskets plus other 1800 B series bits.
        ring me on 01768 867965.

cheers.......Bob

Comment

Think my problem is something else. have fitted replacement and it is acting the same . Both work ok on the bench and after fitting work ok after the initial start , but first time after a few hours standing they both " chatter" for several times before starting think it is the solanoid. I am thinking a bad earth may have something to do with it so will try fitting extra earthing to the chassis. any suggestings are wellcome.

Comment

Working...
          X