B-Series Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-Series Fuel Pumps

Just fitted an Oselli-tuned MGB lump (with Marina flywheel/clutch etc) into my Roadster as a replacement for the Marina TC item. However, i've tried two Marina (mechanical) fuel pumps but i can't get the fuel flowing. Fuel lines are all clear. I'm begining to think that maybe the rocker lever is not being activated by the camshaft.

Can someone advise - I know the MGB had electric pump but is the camshaft same as the Marina? Does it have a lobe to drive the rocker arm?

Or should i just switch to an electric pump? If so, any recommendations as to what type?

As always, help would be appreciated!

Cheers. Bruce

Re: B-Series Fuel Pumps

Fit a "cheap" electric pump near the tank, it solves a multitude of problems. I'm running a 2l Fiat with twin DelOrto's producing 150bhp with the cheapest pump I could find and it's been going 7 years with no trouble.

Comment

Bruce
      You can check out the pump on the bench by simply jury rigging inlet and outlet pipes to fuel can and operating the pump by hand, this will tell you if pump is working or not. Also when fitting the pump to engine block you should feel a resistance as the lever return spring is trying to push the pump away.I have heard of instances whereby folk have managed to 'hook' the pump lever round the cam but having never had that problem I don't know if that is actually possible.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
        I am not sure if I am remembering right but doesn't the fuel pump on a b series rely on the cam having an extra eccentric lobe just for the pump and does the Oselli cam have this. Fit an electric pump anyway the mechanical one will be buried under the manifold in a hot spot and may not be able to cope with the flow.

Comment

Don
          You are absolutely right in that the cam on a B series has a lobe to drive the fuel pump, this is what you should be able to feel when installing the pump to the block in the form of a resistance as the pump lever is pushing against this.If you can't then either you somehow installed the pump incorrectly or there ain't no lobe! which is highly unlikely since most performance cams are reprofiled from the original with a few exceptions which are billet cams from a brand new blank.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bruce
            OK Guys, confession time!

Working outdoors in the failing evening light, I think I inadvertantly connected the fuel supply the wrong way round to the fuel pump. In my defence, I followed the BL manual which definitely shows the outlet nozzle above the inlet but it appears both my pumps (Moprod?) were not original parts and were the opposite way round - I only discovered this the morning after when i did a manual test on the pump.

The upshot is, everything is running well - the new engine (courtesy of Andrew Brown) is certainly smoother and more powerful than my old lump.

Now all i need is for ANC to find my headlamp bar (see my recent thread!)

As always, thanks for all the feedback. Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X