Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine brace

Message originally posted by: Don
    If I accelerate very hard my engine twists sideways and belts the living daylights out of the front carb against the side panel edge. I understand that some B-series engines are braced, where from and to please.

Re: Engine brace

Don
    This is fairly common problem on twin carb 'b' series as the front carb is closer to side panel and limits the size of filter you can get on,hence some cars have the side panel cut away to clear.Check your engine mounts as they may have gone soft which won't help.Any engine brace will have to be fabricated,but you could maybe come off one of the cylinder head studs to bracket on front face of bulkhead

Comment

Don

My B-series used to do this but was cured by a new set of mounts as Alan suggests. Also, my nearside mount has a 4mm thick steel spacer added which sits on top of the mounting block to very slightly cant the engine over. Importantly, it has a slot cut into it rather than a hole so that it can be slid into position after the engine has been located onto the mounting studs.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks. I like the idea of the steel plate to cant the engine. Now where do I get engine mount from? and what do I ask for? as I am sure they are not standard Marina ones.

Comment

Seem to think that Marlin originally suggested land rover,perhaps someone can confirm/deny this

Comment

Yes they used Land Rover diesel mounts as they were slightly stiffer than the petrol ones. I've used them on the 1.8 Marina and my present 2l Fiat engine and there's very little movement although they absorb the normal tickover vibration. They're about 3" dia and about 21/2" high with a 3/8 or 7/16 stud on each side

Comment

According to the build manual, for the TC Marina-based Roadster, "The front set of brackets (on chassis) accept the standard rubber mounts. We recommend using two right hand mounts as the buffer mount fitted to the left hand side allows too much movement." This is the set up I have always used and I see there is an offside engine mount on ebay at the moment (item number: 120105928959)which visually looks like both the mounting blocks on my Marlin - although I can't verify the part numbers quoted.

Hugh and Alan are far more knowledgeable on Marlin matters than me but the build manual recommends the use of squat Land Rover mounts for SC Marina engines because it allows this taller unit to sit lower in the chassis - but the gearbox mount bracket then needs to also be set 25mm lower as well.

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers!! - but I hope this helps. Sounds like you could do with a copy of the build manual. If you ask Hugh nicely, he might be able to supply you with a PDF copy.

Comment

Thanks all. I do have a copy of the build Manual somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the input Bruce,regretably I let my build manual go when I sold the roadster so I rely heavily on memory[somewhere in the dark recesses something stirs!] Hope to see you at Stoneleigh

Comment

Working...
                  X