Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Banging/vibration underneath - could it be propshaft/gearbox?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Banging/vibration underneath - could it be propshaft/gearbox? 
    frequent forum contributor
    I found the cause of Le Clonk, but had to resort to buying half an hour of hydraulic-hoist time at my local friendly garage. The back of the gearbox had only a tiny gap between it and other chassis-related metal. Also, the engine mountings were passed their Sell-by date. Got some serious mounts from Car Builder Solutions (get their brochure - they have lots of great bits & pieces) for only ?7 each.

I think the 'clonk' problem occurred whenever the car went over a series of bumps, which caused the engine to bounce up & down like on a trampoline. The rubber mounts were close to marsh-mellow in strength, and couldn't cope. The absence of a decent gap at the rear of the gearbox completed the scenario. Haven't got it all back together, and wont know for sure that it is cured until I do a test on local roads, but am fairly confident it will be OK. Will need to experiment with shims (washers), to obtain reliable gaps in the right places - wish I had a hoist or pit! Not quite the same with trolley-jacks and grovelling up-side-down on a trolley.

Cheers
    Mike

2. #12 Re: Banging/vibration underneath - could it be propshaft/gearbox? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Just a little reminder that thumping near the back could be the rear spring catching on the seatbelt mounting bolt. It was on mine in Guilisfield, only it hooked on the bolt! Giving me a lean. I cleared it and turned the bolts (both sides) around.

3. #13 Re: Banging/vibration underneath - could it be propshaft/gearbox? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Take some time to check your UJ’s. Unusual vibration puts them under shock loads for which they were not generally designed.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.