Engine Swap 1300 -> 1800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap 1300 -> 1800

Anyone give any indications of how difficult a 1300cc A series to 1800 B series engine swap would be. Would it be a engine and box swap ? What else would need changing - radiator for example, how differrent are the engine mounts etc ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Engine Swap 1300 -> 1800

First the good news-the chassis should have the mounting brackets for 1800 already welded on ,so if the engine is single carb type you need land rover mounting rubbers and the gearbox mounting position needs to be 25mm lower, if twin carb type you will need 2 right hand 1.8 marina units. The fan will need trimming to clear steering rack mounts or fit electric type . Radiator may require upgrading to twin core or better depending on what you have already. New front pipe required from manifold to silencer.there are also clearance issues with alternator/steering shaft and twin carbs/engine side panels but they are easy to overcome.Downside to all of this is that unless you stick a dolomite type box on you still only have 4 speeds better to go Ford pinto and have the option of putting a 5 speed in ,or if you can find one and don't mind the work involved go Fiat twin cam - i'm told it's well worth the trouble!

Comment

Thanks for the info - excellent

I like the idea of a Pinto and I guess a type 9 ford box, but assumed that would be a harder swap - am I correct in thinking that ? I have it in my mind to use the car for trials - be interested if people have any views on best engine from that perspective. Also interested if anyone has tips on suspension mods for trialing.

Only just bought the car, and it will need a lot of work, so I have lots to learn - have sent my membership form - this forum is excellent.

Comment

Andy,
        I live just outside Bristol in Saltford. I run a fiat twin cam in my roadster. If I can be of any help then please feel free to contact me. I am away for 2 weeks but will be back on the 10th.
        jon.cox(at)blueyonder.co.uk
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Andy
          You may wish to talk to Andrew Brown [see MOC representatives] for info on Trialing and suspension mods.Choice of engine may influence category you compete in but again talk to Andrew - he's the expert.

Comment

Have a look at http://www.wheelspin.org.uk/ and go to "Technical Topics".

Comment

Brilliant - thanks for the pointers to whelspin.org.uk - some great info there.

Comment

Working...
              X