Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side exhaust - hello Dane!.

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel on behalf of Donnie in Devon
    I have copied this whole thread from the 9th Feb to try to get rid of a load of spam that keeps getting dumped on the thread. So if you want to follow the progress of this posting, read the whole of what is on here then add your comments as usual.

Sue

__________________________________________________ _

It's beginning to happen - as expected! Exhaust is starting to leak and is making my Berli sound TOO powerful (ah, the delusion...)

I have a 'box, and a length of flexi, and I'm about to order a 1m straight length of SS pipe (and a decibel reducer just in case) to join the two.

There's a thread on this down below where Dane posted some photos (now gone!) of his side exit system. I'd like to check where exactly the pipe exits through the side - I'm hoping there is room on the flat Ali panel between the chassis section and the wing, so that the wing itself doesn't require trimming. Can anyone (that's you, Dane!) confirm, please?

Might the heat from this pipe cause problems in the area where it exits through this hole - the wing will be very close at this point? Yes, I've also ordered some wrap...

Incidentally, I'm going to experiment with a PolyZaust - heard of them? One up on Stainless Steel - this one is plastic!!! Seriously, the pipework is SS but, because of its (supposedly) superior heat (and sound) insulation, the exhaust case can be made from polycarbonate - I'm planning to paint it a nice metallic Graphite...

Re: Side exhaust - hello Dane!.
    Posted by Dane (Goss Moor lagoon) on 9th Feb 07, 21:15 MOC Member: Yes
    Hi Donnie.
    I have a standard Sierra manifold. You are correct in thinking the pipe will exit through the aluminium side plate with no problem. Make it big enough to allow for engine movement and thus avoid an annoying bang when on the overrun.
    I raised my brake pipes, water pipe and loom on a piece of 50mm aluminium angle moulding as an auxiliary chassis rail.

I made up a mild steel bracket which fitted on to a couple of the running board to chassis bolts in the required position to hang the silencer.

I heat wrapped the exhaust pipe from the manifold to 200mm outside the bodywork and a s yet have not needed a heat shield above the silencer although it would be a good idea.
    Do not wrap the manifold...it will soon crack!

Good luck!

PS...The infernal machine will not let me post the pictures. As soon as it is upa nd running I'll post them!

Posted by Donnie (Brrrrmmm...) on 9th Feb 07, 22:51 MOC Member: Yes
    Brilliant! Thanks a a lot, Dane.

Which 'water pipe' are you referring to - I can't think of any that's in the way?

Posted by Dane (Cornwall) on 10th Feb 07, 11:52 MOC Member: Yes
    If I could have downloaded the piccies it would have been easy to spot. I have moved my rad 60mm forward and fitted a remote header (from a Ka!) next to the pedal box. One pipe from this goes in to the top heater hose, The other goes alongside the RHS of the engine to fit on to the original rad overflow outlet. I will keep trying to place the pictures!

Posted by Donnie (Devon) on 10th Feb 07, 13:05 MOC Member: Yes
    Ah, I understand - no such problems for me with my humble Cortina-Pinto.

Don't worry about the pics too much, as the main thing was confirmation that the pipe would go through. Many thanks for that.

Posted by Dane (Cornwall) on 12th Feb 07, 22:58 MOC Member: Yes
    Donnie, My engine is a humble Cortina Pinto but soon to be a rather less humble Sierra Pinto. I moved the rad as far forward as I could to leave as little gap around it's sides as possible to make all the air flow through it rather than around it!.

Posted by Donnie (Devon) on 13th Feb 07, 08:40 MOC Member: Yes
    Ah, I see!

Happy New Sierra Pinto.

Posted by rOGER jOHNSON ([email protected]) on 13th Feb 07, 10:19 MOC Member: Yes
    BYT DO NOT WRAP YOUR STAINLESS STEEL PIPE/MANIFOLD AS THE STRUCTURE OF THE METAL WILL CHANGE AND MAY FAIL!

Roger

Posted by Donnie (Devon) on 13th Feb 07, 13:23 MOC Member: Yes
    Hi Roger. Thanks for that.

I was certainly aware not to wrap the manifold for that reason, and would try and avoid wrapping any of the rest of the pipe unless necessary. I really think I'd need to protect the bodywork where the pipe would pass through - the front wing would only be around 1" away at this point. I am hoping this would ok?

Posted by Roger Johnson ([email protected]) on 13th Feb 07, 14:17 MOC Member: Yes
    I made up some alluminium heat deflectors to protect important bits. Before I did this the alternator plastic end piece started to melt but it was OK after!

Roger

Posted by Donnie (Devon) on 13th Feb 07, 20:36 MOC Member: Yes
    Thanks Roger.

Is yours a side-exit system? If so, have you any shielding where the pipe passes through the body? Ta.

Posted by Sue Roedel (MOC Editor) (Hornchurch) on 14th Feb 07, 15:57 MOC Member: Yes
    Hi Guys

I am trying to get the pics problem solved. Am aware you can't load any at the mo. The website has been moved to a different server and we are retrieving some lost functions slowly!

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Posted by Dane (Cornwall) on 14th Feb 07, 20:21 MOC Member: Yes
    Thanks Sue.
    Why are you working on the computer system when you should be out enjoying St Valentine\'s with some company!

Posted by Sue Roedel (MOC Editor) (Hornchurch) on 14th Feb 07, 23:38 MOC Member: Yes
    I'd better check the clock on the server - I did that post before I went out for a nice meal....It's 23.38 here. I'll check the time this gets posted.

Posted by Sue Roedel (MOC Editor) (Hornchurch) on 14th Feb 07, 23:39 MOC Member: Yes
    Aha! Something dodgy going on here, we are 7 hours behind on the Forum. ANOTHER thing to sort......23.39 now :-)

Posted by Roger Johnson ([email protected]) on 15th Feb 07, 08:50 MOC Member: No
    Yes Dane, I have a stainless 4 branch and I made heat shields near the alternator, servo/steering knuckle and where the main pipe passes through the aluminium panel just above the chassis, works very well. However, in anticipation of a problem before I fitted the 4 branch I re-routed all of the O/S wiring to the N/S. In retrospect I think this did not need doing if I had insulated it well.

Posted by Donnie (Devon) on 15th Feb 07, 23:24 MOC Member: Yes
    Cheers Bill (well, you did call me Dane...)

Thanks Sue!

This is a job I'll be tackling pretty soon - yes, that means I haven't done it yet...

I do have the silencer box - a Polycarbonate and SS 'Poyzhaust' unit - and my local metalworks has supplied me with the correct length of 2" SS pipe with a slight bend (to match contour of Berli chassis) and a sleeve for £20 cash.

The old system already has a new-looking length of flexi pipe on it which I'll use to connect from the manifold to the pipe just outside the bodywork, so all I need now is time...

I even have a couple of chrome angle trims to fit on the dual outlets from the box

Comment

Donnie, where did you get the Polyzhaust bsilencer from, the web site i found only says it is being developed!
      any info most welcome...as i fancy a different exhaust /silencer on my roadster

Comment

Hi Keith.

See item 200138620978 on Ebay - that's who I got mine from; around £30 all in.

It's certainly much lighter than a full steel box, and the manufacturer's website claims it's a lot more efficient at sound muffling too - I've still to see (er, hear).

I went for the largest box, and it has a twin outlet.

Really, it's meant to be used as a rear box of a two box system, so I don't know how good it'll be on its own - I'm prepared to slip a decibel reducer into the pipe in front of it if necessary.

Also, the reason it's meant for rear use only is that it might get too hot in the front position - again, I'm not sure if enough heat will be lost from the delivery pipe before it gets to the box! So, it's all experimental, but I'll certainly keep peeps posted. (There is a ptfe seal between the pipe and the plastic (polycarbonate) box, so I hope it'll handle the temp...)

Comment

Hmm. Well, it's done!

Putting it all together was a surprisingly straight-forward and satisfying task, aided by the relative light weight of the 'box. The running board itself is easily up to the job of supporting the unit, with 'penny' washers helping to spread the load and protect the fibreglass. A galvanised 'building' strap (yet to be painted!) was persuaded to follow the profile of the 'box, and this was then bolted to the underside of the running board via rubber washers. A further bracket - again working through a rubber bung - adds additional support to the front of the unit and the end of the pipe.

Exhaust wrap was wrapped around any electrical cables within potential scorching distance, instead of being applied to the exhaust pipe itself. This was because I wanted the pipe to be able to lose as much heat as possible to protect the plastic (really!) silencer box.

So, what does it sound like? I knew even before the engine burst into life that it wasn't going to be as quiet as I hoped - a very distinctive 'whooop - whooop' sound came pulsing out of the twin pipes as the engine cranked over.

And then... BRUUUMMMMM, THRUMM, THRUMM, THRUMM!

It's not that it's loud exactly - it isn't particularly. But, the low tone of the note has the misfortune of matching the resonant frequency of my skull and every other hollow object within a 2-mile radius.

It's like being struck repeatedly by a soft mallet - and that isn't as nice as it sounds. It even makes the car itself resonate - the vibrations are very noticeable as tho' the body is acting like a guitar sound-box.

A quick look at the 'needforspeed' website had a decibel reducer winging its way towards me. This made bugger all difference (pardon my French...).

THRUMMM, THRUMMM, THRUMMM... Resonate, resonate, resonate...

So, I guess I'll have to try and find a better sounding 'box, because this one is doin' ma heed in, literally and metaphorically.

Any ideas?
          Attached Files

Comment

My two thoughts at the moment are:

1) A large car 'box which has the pipes separated inside - ie: NOT a through-flow design like the one currently fitted. Surely this would be a lot more effective, or

2) (I think I read about this on the MOC forum somewhere) using a can from a ~1000cc motorbike. As was said by the original poster, a 1000cc bike engine revving at 10k rpm should have about the same gas throughput as a 2.0L pinto at 5k rpm!

Thoughts?

Comment

Ok, I placed the decibel reducer in the correct place - up the tail pipe - and it seems to have helped matters.

So, 'where on Earth did you put it in the first place - and keep the answer clean' I hear you ask.

Since the 'box I chose has a single inlet and twin outs, I thought I'd position it before the actual silencer. Hey, I couldn't see why it shouldn't do something - but it clearly didn't.

Putting another one into the second outlet will obviously help, but I'm dead curious to know how a 'bike 'box would compare.

Incidentally, the 'decibel reducer' is just a foot-long length of pipe which is internal-pipe-diameter sized for about 3 inches, and then drops to a slimmer bore for the rest. It is plain tube - no perforations or nufink. How does it work?!

Comment

Donnie,
                See my reply in the new post.
                But to answer your new question.....
                A decibel reducer should be placed in the straight piece of pipe that runs inside the silencer box. The pipe in the box has holes in it for the noise to be absorbed by the wadding. What the tapered pipe of the db reducer does is force more of the airflow into the wadding. Simple as that!!!
                Attached Files
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Wow! Superb info, Jon.

Kind of explains why placing it in FRONT of the 'box had no effect... (Blimey - am I sorry told people about that!)

Thanks again.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                    Do you mind if I use this thread for the mag sometime? It's going well. I will spare any embarrassing comments!

Comment

Usual fees apply, of course....

(Obviously no objections - warts an' all...)

Comment

Hi KEITH DAVIDSON.

With ref to your post above, what system do you have at the moment? Chust curious! Obviously, based on my experience, I cannot recommend a Polyzhaust because of the awful head-banging tone.

I have just this minute bought a cheap Honda 900cc Fireblade silencer of Ebay.

I'll keep you posted...

Comment

Update: A relatively civilised noise level…

Just changed my unbearable ‘Polyzhuast’ for a bike can. Yes, thanks to Mr Honda, my Berli now sports an aluminium alloy exhaust from a 900cc ’95 Fireblade. Not only is the noise level significantly reduced, but my Berli now revs smoothly to 14,000 rpm, banks into corners, and pulls wheelies.

For me the side-exit exhaust conversion was a hugely worthwhile modification - it has effectively increased ground clearance and has seen the end of the embarrassing scrapes and scrunches that greeted me whenever I passed over even very low-lying sleeping policemen. It’s also much easier - and cheaper - to work on and replace.

The bike can is surprisingly light, no doubt due to it being mainly constructed from aluminium alloy. This has the added advantage of it being effectively rust-proof, although I suspect the internals are still made from steel so won’t last forever.

It was also a very cost-effective conversion. I already had a short length of 2” flexi pipe (which is the easiest way to get from the manifold to outside the engine bay), but a 500mm length of this in S/S shouldn’t cost more than about £20. Add to this 1m of straight 2” S/S pipe which, again, comes in at around £20 (I got mine from a local metal-fabricators for this price, and they also put a slight bend in it to match the chassis profile - I took a simple card template along.) The Honda exhaust cost a whopping 99 pence on EBay, or just under £9 when postage was added. Total cost of a side exit system should be as little as £60-70. Ok, the first few inches of the original downpipe - the part with the flared end which joins to the manifold - has to be retained with this cheap setup, but this is usually the longest-lasting part of a system in any event, as it gets hot but doesn’t get wet!

So, what does it sound like?! Well, it has a tasty but nicely subdued ‘rorp’ which provides the badly-needed illusion of power, but it’s quite acceptable at normal road speeds and isn’t in the least bit anti-social around town. It’s a pretty nifty sound when zipping around country lanes but it does get a bit loud when revving hard and is also still a tad too intrusive for my liking when cruising at 60mph+. I can imagine it getting quite tiresome on a longish trip. The situation isn’t helped by my Berli having just a 4 speed box - I’m sure a lower revving engine would fare better. Also, there’s no doubt that having the exhaust outlet exiting almost level with your ear is pretty much the worst place to have it!

Recommended then, as it has lots of ‘pros’ and only one real ‘con’. The noise level is a little too strong for my personal liking although I can live with it until an alternative comes along. I’m sure many of you would find it quite acceptable! I’d love to know how a bigger-engined bike exhaust would compare, such as the one from the 1300 Suzuki!

For anyone considering this job:

A quick look on EBay should present you with a good selection of cans to choose from. You’ll need an exhaust from a 900cc bike upwards (there are plenty even going up to 1300cc!) to ensure your engine can breath as well as before. Also check that the bike it came from used a SINGLE can, as some have twin exhausts and this would mean that each can is only designed to handle half the exhaust gases.

Also make sure you get the associated ‘link pipe’ with the can as this will make it much easier to connect to your pipe - mine came without so I had to cobble together a 60mm diameter coupling to mate it to my 2” pipe. Oh, and check that the link pipe DOESN’T join the can at an angle as most do - look for a straight fitting (unless you want a squint exhaust.).

Looking at pics on EBay, I think - but check before proceeding - that suitable cans can (always wanted to say can-can…) be obtained from the Kawasaki ZX9R, Honda Fireblade CBR900 (certainly the ’95 model!), the Suzuki GSX1300, and I’m sure many others. Oh, oh, and also make sure it’s a ‘standard’ can as supplied with the original bike and not an after-market ‘race’ exhaust which will be tooo loud!!

PS. I thought, since the can was originally painted black, that it would be well enough thermally insulated to tolerate a paint job. So’s I gets out my aerosol of metallic Graphite paint… Mmmm, tasty! At least until my first drive. It’s now a kind of ‘crackle’ finish…

Comment

Working...
                          X