Exhaust flange seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust flange seal

Thought i'd make the most of a wet weekend by fixing that annoying exhaust leak between the bottom of the manifold (cast Marina TC item) and the Marlin/YKC stainless steel downpipe (which passes out over chassis rail).

Nice simple job - yeah right! 2 broken studs so manifold off, apply heat, drill, re-tap etc etc - and replace all the studs while i'm at it!

Anyway, my question is this - do i need to replace the thin flange seals and if so, where do i get them from - they're obviously not standard Marina/MGB? Or can i use a pair of thicker standard MGB type seals (which seem to be made of a soft malleable metal which presumably seals under compression? Finally, would you recommend i use any exhaust paste?

As always, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Bruce

PS. Saw a nice light blue Roadster (in the drizzle) heading into Chester from Tarvin this afternoon (Sunday). Are you local to Chester / fancy meeting up for a natter or run out some time?
    Attached Files

Re: Exhaust flange seal

Hi Bruce
    As far as your photos show they are standard MGB parts (just like mine)you can get them from Moss in Stockport or Welsh MG at Wrexham.
    Cheers
    Derek

Comment

Bruce
      As Derek says -standard Mgb stuff-you don't need exhaust paste with these.

Comment

Hi Bruce,
        I see from your photo that you have put heat wrap on to your cast iron manifold. This is NOT recomended. The cast iron does not like it and will crack. You have been warned!!!
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks all for the responses.

Been to Moss Manchester today and took all the exhaust parts with me. Interestingly, they didn't recognise either the downpipe flange detail or the triangular-shaped exhaust seals. (The rounds ones in the photo are standard MGB parts i already had but don't fit snugly between the manifold and the downpipe - which is why i was trying to locate replacements for the triangular ones, which have been blowing.)

The upshot is that the closest match Moss could come up with were copper seals fitted to the pre-war MG TD - actually a very good match, with only a little bit of filing for the stud holes. (Part No 290-500 for anyone who's interested!) Will be fitting them at the weekend so we'll see if that does the job.

Thanks Jon for the advice about the exhaust wrap. Looks like i need to get some manifold paint!

Comment

Working...
          X