Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite the Brandenburg gate...

Message originally posted by: Don
    But how's this for a place to break down? Middle of the M25 slip road onto M1. Car recovered for free (middle of roadworks see) and a small bribe saw Wee Beastie carted back to my place rather than the M1 compound at junction 8.

The trouble? Lumenition electronic ignition finally expired. It has had a habit of just cutting out for some time now only to be fine a few minutes later. Lumenition ripped out and points fitted. Started first time. Of course.
    Attached Files

Re: Not quite the Brandenburg gate...

Bummer place for a breakdown, dude!

Glad it's worked out okay, though...

Surprising to hear that the electronic ignition was so unreliable - what do you think was the fault?

Cheers,
    Ty

Comment

I think it may be some thing technical to do with the wires or summat, works ok when the engine is cold but gets increasingly unreliable as it gets warm. I am going to check the wiring carefully but to be honest I have had enough of it. I have found a website that describes the butchering of the electronic ignition in Maestros to fit a Lucas D45 Dizzy may go down that route, or may try to source one of the Lucas D65 s as fitted to 1.3 Metros. I have been told that these work quite well on a B-series.

Comment

Don,
        I have had 3 luminition modules pack up on me in different cars. Just about to purchase a Pertronix item from retro rockets in US. With current exchange rate it works out to be £75 for module and coil. I have read on many forums that these are more reliable. They have a warehouse in Surrey so should arrive within a few days. They are the same as Aldon ignitors which the Ford boys use. Only negative I have read is that if you leave the ignition on for a length of time they can burn out!!!
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks for that Jon, I am really not sure whether it is the electronic module that is at fault or if the wiring twixt box and optical sensor that has deteriorated due to vibration. Either way I know that a set of points will always get me home and can be replaced at the roadside.

When an electronic system lets you down where do you start?

I had identified the Aldon system as the one to go for, if only on price grounds, although it may have to be a Christmas prezzie.

Comment

lots of discussion of the unreliability of after market electronic ignition here on the TR register website:
            http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6790

Comment

Don,
              I have also read good things about the 123 ignition but I run a Fiat Twink so no good for me. If money no object go for a megajolt system and take advantage of the reliability of modern technology!!!!
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                Ah, poor wee Beastie! May make a good calendar pic though! Don't talk to me about points. After adjusting mine after Derbyshire the car then refused to start so a new set later I tried again, still no joy. Eventually, after giving up for 24 hours, John adjusted them and the bugger started first time. Apparently my 18 Bosch gap could be between 18 and 22 so he set it to 20 and the rest is history. No wonder I am so crap at points. Bring back my Lucas, I was safe with that one!

Comment

I have used lumenition in my Pinto Berli for years with no faults at all. Good supply and excellent earths evrywhere are a must. Do not power the module from the coil +ve feed - it is subject to a ballast resistor cable. I'm wrestling with fuel injection now so my entire lumenition system, with dizzy, is up for grabs. I'll sort out an advertisement soon.
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Dane, I fitted a pinto 2ltr EFi over the winter,if you have any problems (like where does this go ?) give me a shout and I will do my best to help

Comment

Message originally posted by: f pilkington
                      I fitted a lumenition ignition system for the simple reason that I Got fed up of setting the points, also fitted a new coil that was supposed to be for that system after 20 miles or so the car stopped and would not start until the coil cooled down moved the coil into a more open position hopeing the the air flow would keep the coil cool but this did not cure the problem. so fitted an old dodgy coil found in the back of my garage and the problem went away,if your car cuts out again check the heat of the coil by holding your hand to it.

Comment

I have checked the temperature of the coil and have swapped coils but all to no avail.

Wee Beastie is running fine with good old points at the moment, until I can either check out the Lumenition or fit something new.

Comment

F Pilkington, on a non ballasted system the coil should be 3ohms resistance and 1.5 on an ignition coil with ballast resistor, and not just any old coil will do, hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X