Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Test

One teeny enhancement will be to default to the reply box after you log in rather than having to click "Go to latest reply" to get back to the bottom where the reply box is.

Comment

I know I mentioned this before (and it was tactfully pointed out to me that there was a 'Show only new entries' button. D'oh!), but does anyone else think it would be a useful feature to have the threads with the most recent replies float to the top of the list where they indicate 'live' topics, and are noticed immediately?

This way, even if you haven't been to the forum for a few days, it's still immediately obvious where the active threads are.

Currently, if you don't attend the forum for a short while and the 'New' tags have disappeared, the presence of these new posts will have totally passed you by.

Or is it just me

Comment

test test,

Working for me
        BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
        http://www.modelog.co.uk/
        http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

I too would like it if newly replied to topics floated to the top. Danny replied to a post of mine, but because it had migrated off the bottom of the page, I missed his input for several days.

Comment

Personally I prefer the "Show new replies" option as the dates get all muddled if you show all the new stuff at the top. I guess it doesn't matter if dates move about but it's just, well, neater, to have it chronological. The first thing I do when I view the Threads is click on "Show new entries" and they are all there.

What does anyone else think?

I have just had an idea about a development that I will add to the pile of "To Do's" - perhaps an email notification to you when a reply is added to the original post?

Comment

Hi sue, this is a great relife, as neil said removing spam was becoming a pain, all the best , and i will keep watch as well, Merv

Comment

Hi Merv, my silent moderator.

You shouldn't have to keep watch on the spam now as we have been spam free for several days and I believe that is the last of it. I'll keep watch from here and if anyone dares to break through they'll have me to answer to!

Man thanks for your help.

Comment

Ooh-err! And here was me chust about to post some spam...

Hi Sue. I see what you mean - looking back over the posts is almost like a history lesson, and I can appreciate the attractiveness of the chronological format.

I guess the only time the current format really lets me down is when I've been away for a few days; when I subsequently check for new posts - even using the 'Show only new entries' function - the 'new' tag has often disappeared from some due to their age and the posts don't therefore come up.

Sometimes I even forget to use that feature and just scan the first visible page of threads for new posts - but that's my fault for being stupid...

Oh, and another useful feature - if it's easy to add - would be a 'preview' facility. It's so much easier to check if posts makes grammatical sense when all its content can be seen, instead of just 5 lines in a box.

(Just in case you thought you could sit back and relax after the current - very welcome - improvements!)

Comment

Hi Sue.
                    Test seems to be working ok this end.

Comment

Hi Donnie

The new posts tag sits there for a week I think. Then they come off. So the only advantage to moving new replies to the top would be if they stay there as new posts and don't go back to chronological orer once the mew tag comes off. That's fine, BUT, if you have left it a while before you log in, the new posts would be replaced with more new posts and the previous new posts would move down the list and not show as new any more so you are no better off!

Does anyone else have a strong feeling about new posts?

Will add your preview suggestion to the pile of To Do's. My current set up allows spell check as you type, that's really useful! But if you haven't got that, I want to put in a spellcheck at some point too.

Comment

Regarding the new posts.

I think it's fine the way it is - it's only a single click to find them after all !!.

Comment

Is it just my PC setup or does everyone else have to scroll up the screen to see the entries in any different category. Sue, you kindly arranged put the categories themselves immediately visible, why can't we see the first few entries in any category straight away (or am I just being lazy?). A return button would also be handy if you do a search and choose not to open any of the found threads

Comment

Hi Neil.

Yes, it's only a single click - as long as you get there in time before the new tags disappear!

Hi Sue.

Yes, the newer threads would always remain at the top until they were usurped (hate that word - but always wanted to use it...) by even newer ones. They wouldn't ever revert to chronological order (although you could have both - see below!).

The threads would then remain in order of current interest - the more recent the addition to the thread, the higher up in the list they'd be they'd be.

I guess it comes down to what you're used to; the two other forums I also use - the NG Owners Club (sorry for cussing) and Screwfix (I guess that just about sums up my life - kit cars and home repair...), both use the 'newest to the top' format so that when you come back to it after an absence, you can see at a glance what the most topical threads are.

(The NG Owners Club can actually be switched between formats - ooh-er, missus)

Comment

I say leave it as it is.
                              It is not difficult to scroll to the subject of interest. The flags are a nicety.
                              The Pajero owners club (Iknow, I know!) have the last reply to the top system which I do not like. What happens is that people do not look around the other entries and the many repeat threads become irritating. For example look up Fuel pump seals! The same questions are often asked. (not always with the same or sensible answers though!)
                              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                              X