Rear hub removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear hub removal

Anybody got any good tips on removing the rear hubs. So far I have broken 2 hub pullers, heated the hub till it glows red and taken it to a garage with hydraulic press. All have failed.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Rear hub removal

Jon
    Heat and a large hammer has worked for me before so can't offer any further suggestions to those you've already tried. I have surplus 2 bare halfshafts that require the threads 'tidying' up plus one complete shaft with backplate and hub and i think a new bearing fitted. If they are of any interest to you I will be at Donington Saturday. E mail and phone no in 'Pitstop'

Comment

I had the same problem, eventaully a bigger hydraulic press (25 ton I think) & heat shifted them - went with a hell of a bang so I was told. It did damage the threads on the end a bit though, so I had them cleaned up with the appropriate die.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don Sayers (&Wee Beastie)
        What type of hubs are you trying to remove Marina or triumph? Herald type hubs are notoriously difficult to remove.

Comment

Marina & Triumph are the same - both the same cheapo taper & keyway fit, rather than a more sensible splined application - but thats BMC / BLMC / Leyland for you.

In my case they are / were Marina halfshafts.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. I have a mate that works for Farbio cars http://www.farbiosportscars.com/farbio.htm who have a 60 ton press. This should do it!!!!
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

There is a special Churchill tool for this job - I managed to borrow one when I did my original build. It avoids the risk of bending the hub flange when using a press and allows far more effort to be employed than a standard puller. Canley Classics in Coventry do an updated version for £55 + VAT and carriage. You could also make your own -see
              http://members.visi.net/~kohout/hubpull.html for details.

Also some local branches of the various Triumph clubs might have an original puller for loan to members.
              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
              X