Tyre pressures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tyre pressures

Not strictly this thread but still... I've bought a kitcar hub adaptor from MWS to try it out, and the bloke there said when I ordered it 'Are you Leigh Rolls?' Replied not but he said a coincidence that that two people within a week had asked about fitting to Marina hubs. Anyway, I borrowed my mates spare from his TR25o, 4.5J with 185 tyres, it fitted fine and looks great. Leigh, did you manage to get one of the two sets of 15" 4.5 wires off ebay? At £100 a set got to be good. Unfortunately they had gone before my aforementioned check

Comment

Hi Peter,
      When you fitted the adaptors, did you have to shorten the studs. The MWS site seems to show that that is necessary. Also, when you'd fitted the adaptors, how "thick" were they? MWS just says to allow the addition of "approximately 1.25 inches per corner". Thanks!

There are some very interesting 13" wires on ebay at the moment...

Regards,
      Ty

Comment

Ty
        I haven't fitted the adaptors permanently yet as I haven't got any wheels of my own yet. But when trying out my mate's wheel, it was clear that the studs would have to shortened to avoid fouling the inner part of the wheel hub just outside the spline. The wheel I tried was a 4.5" rim with 185/15 tyres. As the Marina 13" wheels I had were 5.5" rims, the extra 1.25" caused by the adaptors was largely compensated for by the narrower tyre, thus it wasn't wider than the wing.
        I was going to contact you anyway about your wing-mounted spare as if/when I fit 15" wheels the spare isn't going to fit comfortable on the rear tub. I assume you had to cut away some of the nearside wing and fit some sort of bracket underneath.
        Regards
        Peter

Comment

Hello Peter
          No I didn't buy either of the ebay items. I was unsure if they would fit - I was under the impression that "backspace" is important and that it should be about 107mm for the Marina hubs. The Berli shown on the MWS site had 5.5x15 wheels fitted that had a 105mm backspace! The centre lock wheels I really fancy are for Astons and are 5 x 16 with a backspace of 99mm. Tall and not that wide. I like BIG wire wheels on old-style cars! But I haven't actually contacted MWS to enquire, partly (sigh) 'cos my cheapest option is to wait for 15" bolt-ons to appear on ebay - someday! Peter I would love to see pics of your car when you get the wheels fitted.

Comment

Hi Ty,
            The dolly wheel is inset compared to the Vitesse wheel and gives a contact patch further inside the king pin line. This gives a twitchy handling with a lack of self centre and on aproaching full lock you probably find it bites and snatches the steering onto full lock. Also insurance companies dont like spacers.Any thing other than a shim type spacer needs longer studs, you should avoid those screw on extension type, definately frowned upon in competitions. .Possibly with sprint wheels as the extra rim width is on the out side, this negates the effect somewhat. Any way if it works, OK but from what I've read its not recommended.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Leigh
              As I mentioned earlier, I'm now sure that 15" TR wires with 175 or 185 tyres will fit with MWS kitcar bolt on splines without protruding past the wing line. Also I suggest you check that 16" are not just TOO big.
              I have not yet learned how to put a picture on ebay or a forum but I am due a tutorial with my daughter this week.

Comment

Hi Leigh, great to hear that the wires fit well - look forward to seeing some photos!

Peter, I'll see if I can put up some photos of the spare wheel pocket in the near future. I'm super-busy right now as our school's being ofsted-ed the week. Stressful business, these government inspections. They only give you 2 days notice as well....

I'm still not sure if the wheels would work too well with my car, as I'm pretty certain that the Triumph wings are a good deal narrower than those on the Marina cars. (Ben?) As it is, the dolly sprint wheels with 175/70r14 tyres are pretty much flush with the edges...

Nevertheless, I do think wires would look great on the car. Some time ago I'd photoshopped up what 13" wires might look like. (that's me in the passenger seat in this photo...)

Regards,
                Ty
                Attached Files

Comment

I meant 174/70r13. oops.

Comment

It's late.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Peter - I will be careful about fitting 16" wheels.
                      Ty - I haven't yet bought any wires for my car - Your car sure would look good with wires though - and I am envious of your skills with photoshop - I tried to cut and paste an image of a wire wheel onto a photo of my car using photoshop and couldn't make it work!!!

Comment

Hi Leigh,
                        I've put a link in a new thread for a great online tyre size calculator...

Comment

To be sure of the correct tyre pressures, I had my car weighed on a single axle weighbridge, then E mailed the customer service department of the tyre manufacturer (in my case Goodyear) stating the front and rear axle weights and the tyre type and size (Goodyear GT2, 185/70 R15).They E mailed back their recommended pressure. My LWB Roadster with me and half a tank of fuel in it has a 50/50 weight distribution, 405 kgs per axle. Goodyear recommended 26 psi all round.

Comment

Working...
                          X