Bulkhead Cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulkhead Cracks

Just a word of warning to periodically check the bulkhead for cracking around the pedal box area...I had a look at mine earlier and discovered a 1" crack, despite having a Marlin reinforcing bracket fitted. This is a known area of weakness but with the number of new owners around its worth pointing out now and again.
    Oh well, the winter project is now somewhat bigger than originally planned..!
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Bulkhead Cracks

Thanks for the warning Jez. However, I'm not sure what to look for and where. Any chance of a photo of your offending crack - steady - and its location on the car?

Many thanks

Comment

In my case the (not my..!) crack is adjacent to the transmission tunnel below the pedal box...my bulkhead has a "step" in it below the pedal box (I've seen some cars with a flat bulkhead) and the crack is under there and only visible to inspection from underneath. I'll see if I can get a photo to post. I seem to recall a spate of these a long while ago (mid 90's?), with only occasional reports since then.
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

This appears to be a possible problem on the earlier alloy bulkhead /transmission tunnel cars to my knowledge.Those roadsters supplied by YKC[and possibly by Marlin] that had galvanised steel for the floors/bulkhead/trans tunnel don't appear to have this problem.

Comment

I think my logic here is correct but more force/stress will be applied to the bulkhead with non-servo cars than with cars equipped with a servo, irrespective if the servo is in line or remote. Happy to be corrected on this one.

Comment

This was a problem with Marina based cars with alloy bulkhead identified by Marlin in 1989. They provided an aftermarket stiffener made out of 16g steel. Marlin suggested routine inspection especially if the brakes started to feel spongy. They said "the problem was more likely to manifest itself on high mileage and non-servo cars" All this info is in the Tech tips1991 issue.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

As opposed to low-mileage, stiffener-fitted and servo-equipped cars like mine..! Still got those tunnel and floor sections Ben? I feel a rebuild coming on...

Comment

My "splits" appeared along the steps. I have now reinforced the steps with heavier grade alloy and halved the bulkhead so that the top can be taken off leaving the bottom in place. Hopefully I will never have to do this ever again - its lasted 23 years so far. Mine is Marina/servo/35,000 miles and has the strengthening fillet.

Comment

Hi Jez, I have a pile of galvanised panels but... they are tunnel and floor pieces and probably for later cars because most are different shapes to my car?? hybrid that is!! Biggest problem is they are bloody heavy so unless they are collected I cant see how to get rid of them.

Comment

Ben - I don't go sarf of the river very often, but I might be shuttling to/from Gatwick in the near future. Might be able to arrange something pck-up wise...I'll see what my schedule looks like and let you know, assuming the client ever signs the damn contract that is...

Comment

Hi Jez, Im 10 mins from the Dartford crossing SARF side. Your welcome to have a rumage in the pile of bits thats left.

Comment

Just failed my MOT on excessive movement of the pedal box too on my 84 built Marina TC based roadster. I can see the vertical panel buckling forward a little under pedal pressure but also noticed a loose bolt so Im starting there. Whats the best way forward as havent seen any cracks yet and how do you best examine it?
                        Many thanks in advance . It also failed on the drivers floor pan being split too along its edge which apparently needs a continuous weld bead to pass the MOT

The irony is that she is running great after weeks of misery finally traced to a defective new HT coil!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X