new marlin owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new marlin owner

I have just bought a 1988 Marina based Marlin Roadster with a 1.6 ford pinto engine and 4 spd box, it seems to run pretty well but I would like to make a few improvements over the winter.
    Could anyone give me some ideas on improving engine performance and handling without breaking the bank. also the car feels a little low geared, is the ford 5 speed a direct replacement for the 4 spd. Thanks in advance Rob

Re: new marlin owner

Hi Rob, And welcome to this brilliant club. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think a type 9 gearbox which is a 5 speed standard ford gearbox should go straight on your 1600cc pinto I hope this helps.
    Regards
    Terry

Comment

Hi Rob,
      Wellcome to the marlin owners club, Where do you live in the Borders ? I live in Carlisle. If i can be of help please let me know...

Comment

HI again Rob, If you follow these steps on this web site you will see how hard or easy it is to change the gearbox to a 5 speed. Go to links & useful addresses, then Stephan Carlton roadster pages, other marlin owners,to Chris Dow's, Marlin Berlinetta He tells of the problems he had.This may give you a good idea of what is entailed.
        regards.
        Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry very helpful, thanks for the welcome Lee i'm in Hawick 40 miles north of Carlisle.
          This seems like a very friendly bunch.

Comment

Hi Rob,
            If you fancy meeting up sometime please let me know
            I could come over to Hawick it has been ages since i travelled that windy road to Hawick.

Comment

Hi Rob, like Lee maybe we can all meet up Im 50 miles from Lee in Kendal south lakes.
              Terry

Comment

Hi, Rob
                Welcome to the club. I live in Penrith and Lee,Terry,and Mike from nr Kendal keep in touch alot with issues and if we can help please shout up. With regards to improving your engine performance, have a look at the forum threads on some of the items I have done to my 2LT Pinto for extra performance withour breaking the bank.

Comment

I have noticed that Terry Has advised that a 5speed Type 9 box will fit a 1600 Pinto, It will but just check your clutch disc will fit, as some most boxes has a 23 splined shaft and your disc could be 20 splined.

Comment

Rob
                    You will also need to shorten propshaft as type 9 box is longer,also the gearchange is further back than in 4 speed

Comment

Hi Rob,
                      1600 Pinto engined Cortinas were fitted with the type 3 gearbox. This had a 7/8 inch 20 spline input shaft.
                      The bigger engined Cortinas sported the Type E or "Rocket" gearbox fitted with a 1" 23 spline input shaft.
                      The type 9 was a re-work of the rocket box with a new tailshaft housing incorporating the fifth gear. The type 9 is exactly the same length as the rocket type E box. The problem is that the mounting has been moved back by approximately 75mm. I am not sure about the length of the type 3 compared to the rocket or type 9.
                      I have a 2 litre flywheel with clutch which has only done 2000 miles or less. My engine has blown so I would be happy to send the assembly to you. This would fit the 1600 pinto, rocket and type 9 gearboxes. I am fitting a type 9 to my Berli and apart from shortening the gearbox mount chassis extensions and drilling new mounting holes, the gearbox will fit without changing my propshaft. Strangely, the reverse light switch has ended up in exactly the same place as before and with a bit of "re-routing" the speedo cable fits too.

Welcome to the club Rob and good luck with your project.
                      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Dane
                        Thanks for correcting me on the overall dimensions, not sure where I got that from! There is a good site on conversion albeit in crossflow engine Morgan see www.geocities.com/morgan4_4/gearbox Apologies Rob for any confusion.

Comment

Hi Rob, I live near Jed and run a Marlin with a 1.8 Marina engine. It would be good to meet and you're welcome to come and look at the set up of mine whenever suits you. (tho I am tied up for a week or so) Malcolm.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for all the replies, the info has given me a lot to think about, I am going to put a few miles on the car to get to know it a little better before doing any major work.
                            Anyone fancy a run out during the christmas hols.?

Comment

Anynone have a source for new front mats for a 88 roadster.

Comment

Working...
                              X